Roslyn and Laughs

Edinburgh Travel Blog

Woke up in time for breakfast and, after having abandoned hope of going to London, decided to spend the next two days seeing some more sights of Edinburgh and the surroundings.  Today I decided to visit Roslyn Chapel.  Roslyn is located around seven miles south of Edinburgh…which means it took me almost two hours to get there!  First I had to get into the center of town to catch the proper bus, which is only once an hour and the next one was over thirty minutes away, and then the ride through the streets of Edinburgh’s southwest suburbs until we got to the village of Roslin.  At least the delay in Edinburgh center gave me my opportunity to go to the top of the Scott monument which had been closed when I reached it the prior two nights.

Roslyn chapel itself was very nice with its carvings, but overall, I guess I expected more.  All the hype from the Da Vinci Code I guess.  The canopy should be gone in a couple years which should improve the view from the outside, but not sure if they’ll ever be able to truly fix the inside with the concrete paint over the carvings.  Still quite beautiful though.  Sat through the talk on the history of the chapel and wandered around the grounds and rooftop via the canopy then walked down to glimpse the castle ruins and Roslyn Glen before heading back into Edinburgh.

Wandered back via Princess Gardens and down the Royal Mile back into the Fringe Festival hub.  My goal, find more free comedy shows!  I truly enjoyed last night’s first foray, and wanted more!  Managed to pick up a couple hundred flyers (ok, small exaggeration) and decided to try some of the Flying Horse shows at the Counting House / Peartree House and Meadow Bar (after a quick nap).  Saw some good comedy, and finally managed to drag myself back to my bed around 3AM.

Edinburgh