Highlands Thursday

Edinburgh Travel Blog

For Thursday, I booked a seat on the Grey Lines bus tour of the Scottish Highlands / Loch Ness.  With four full days for my first visit to the country, I decided I had to give myself some time to see something other than Edinburgh city center…

The bus company picked me up from my hotel at 7:20 in the morning (!) and brought me and a few others to the meeting point for the tour.  By 8AM, everyone had arrived and we were off!

We headed up from Edinburgh, through Linlithgow where we were teased with the possibility of seeing the birthplace of Mary, Queen of Scots, but the trees along the highway blocked the view.  You have to go to see it.  Passed through Falkirk and Stirling, seeing the Castle and Wallace monuments…I think I want to see these closer up!  Through Doune and Callander to Kilmahog where we stopped for Coffee and Hamish, the Highlands cow!

From Kilmahog we continued on through Strathyre, Lockearnhead, Crianlarich, Tyndrum and Dridge or Orly into Blackmount and The White Corries at Glencoe.  Stopped here for a brief moment to hear the story of the tragic Macdonalds of Glencoe then continued on past Loch Linnhe and Fort Nevis and Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in Scotland to Spean Bridge for lunch.  Real good fish and chips here…probably the best I’ve ever had!

Continuing on, we passed over the Caledonia canal and Bridge of Oich to Fort Augustus and Loch Ness for an hour boat ride on the Loch; Nessie hunting!

Continuing on, we stopped briefly at Urqhart castle, went through Inverness, Ruthven Barracks, Blair Castle to Pitlorchy where we stopped for dinner before heading back over the Firth of Forth on the Forth Road bridge into Edinburgh.

I finished up the evening with my first taste of Comedy at the festival, and was almost instantly hooked.  Perhaps I can skip the meetup in London and still have fun!  Especially since it would cost over 100 quid to get there!

photo by: vances