Banff: a walkthrough (2)

Banff Travel Blog

Entering Banff National Park

(cont'd...) The "Rockies" is composed mainly of two National Parks in Alberta, Banff and Jasper. It is close to British Columbia border. These national parks are ones of the most famous tourist destinations in western Canada. With its ranges of stunning mountain, topnotch campsites, and townships similar to small European villages, one cannot leave it unexplored. The park attractions are not season-based. We had, at one point, drove during Christmastime over at Lake Louise; view was unbelievably spectacular: the Chateau Lake Louise hotel that sat majestically on floppy white snow and massive ice sculptures masterpiece showcased on a frozen lake.

simply spectacular
Unfortunately, pictures of our winter trip are not included at this time. Relatively though, the summer scenes at the park are equally exhilarating.  The powerful Bow Falls, the aerially gliding cable "gondola"; our encounter with wildlife; horse backriding; the emerald river, etc.

Within the park, Lake Louise area and the town of Banff are tourists' more frequented areas. For one, the most captivating of all is the lake itself. From a common vantage point (where it could be crammed by eager tourists in any given day), across the wide jade-colour water rise two bluish mountains. So massive, yet far enough for me that I was able to compose clearly the whole view of the landscape from my camera lens. The few remaining patches of snow nestling on top and their crevasses were still visible while the cloud-infused backdrop of the sky completes any photographer's dream of capturing its exhilarating beauty.

Chateau Lake Louise

Nearby - from where we stood while taking pictures of the lake, is the classic Chateau Lake Louise. It was originally owned and built by Canadian Pacific Railway back in the late 19th century for the purpose of enticing travellers to explore western Canada by train. The dynamics of travelling and transportation, of course, changed at the advent of highway infrastructure and airplane. Consequently, this hotel became of a disinterest to railway order of business and was eventually sold. Common from any older hotel, the Chateau offers an ambiance of serenity and enigma. Its massive hallway, the high ceiling, the spiral steps, even its wide planks of wood used generously throughout allowed me to feel its old-fashioned beginning.

strolling at the park
 Funny, but being imaginative sometimes, it actually reminded me of "The Shining". A novel/movie that was plotted and mainly revolved within a lone mysterious winter resort hotel.

Because I had been here several times in the past, and because the cable tram/gondola in Jasper is relatively more thrilling than Banff's, we agreed not to ride on it. But again, the purpose of this blog is not served if I won't walk you through it, even lightly. What impressed me most at this time, seeing these Swiss-made cable cars were their sleekness and minty condition. One car can only hold maximum of four individuals, so numerous cars were alternately going from and to the stretch up to mountain top. From main base, car glides up to one of the highest mountain peaks.

cable gondola
 Up there is a long stretch of boardwalk for sightseeing and a restaurant.

From my previous visit here at the mountain top: gazing and witnessing several eagles glide smoothly against the air felt as if I was one of them surveying in awe every moving creature down below. Up there out in the open, I was also one with the mountain. The feel of sharp air that shaped its face and combed its resident trees biasedly in one direction had me braved the same relentless gust and firmly planted my feet to secure my stand; the wildlife dwelling at its bosom - the black bear and the ever-curious mountain goats perched at its ridges, I had also been a witness.

The sun was nearing its peak on that day when our group went to a picnic area to have lunch. TO BE CONTINUED.

free08 says: