Royal Gorge Bridge and Helicopter flight into the Royal Gorge

Canon City Travel Blog

Royal Gorge Bridge

Hanging 1,053 feet above the wild Arkansas River, the Royal Gorge Bridge is the world's highest suspension bridge, and a legendary feat of engineering renowned the world over. Built in 1929 for $350,000, the cost today would exceed $15 million.

The cable-stayed Viaduc de Millau, completed in December 2004, is the tallest bridge in the world, at 1,118 feet (341 m), but its road/vehicle deck is only 885 ft (270 m) above the River Tarn. The Royal Gorge Bridge is still the highest suspension bridge in the world, as well as the bridge with the highest deck-to-surface clearance.

The height of the bridge makes it an attractive spot for suicide by jumping; however, park and security personnel constantly patrol the bridge in order to prevent such suicides

It's just over an hour drive from Colorado Springs to Canon City.

Me on the bridge
Before I got to the gorge I stopped in Canon for some lunch at Chili's. I got the Classic Nachos.  Nachos covered in steak, cheese, and jalapenos, with sour cream, guacamole and tomatos for toppings. The Royal Gorge is about seven miles east of Canon. The drive is not to bad, but long enough. It's $24.00 admission for entrance into the park but that includes the walking across the Royal Gorge Bridge, Incline Railway, Areial Tramway. The bridge and gorge are very beautiful. In my personal opinion they have put to much tourist caca in trying to make it more appealing but they have actually taken away from the beauty of it all.

So only stayed an hour and I headed back out of the park. On my way in I saw helicopter rides.....ummmm  sweet!!!   I know I had to do it..and I did. The pilot could fly that copter.:))  We went in the east side and into the canyon came out and flew over the Royal Gorge Bridge and back into the gorge following the river making sharp turns and flying over whitewater rafters waving at us. Coming out the westend and flying back to home base. It was a 25 minute flight and superb!!!!!  It made the drive out there all worth it.

Me on the bridge
The Royal Gorge Bridge from the he…
The Royal Gorge Bridge from the h…
Canon City