Denver Zoo

Denver Travel Blog

www.denverzoo.org

I got up at 6:00am this morning and packed up my luggage and ate some breakfast in the lobby. I hit the interstate by 7:00am heading for Denver Zoo. The zoo opens at 9:00am that gave me two hours to get there. I'm glad I gave myself the extra time. Downtown was blocked off for the "Taste of Denver".  I arrived at the zoo at 8:45am. I needed to be there first thing to give myself plenty of time to enjoy it. i had to leave the zoo by 11:30am to get to the airport intime.

The zoo was founded in 1896 when an orphaned American black bear cub Billy Bryan -- short for William Jennings Bryan, after the contemporary American politician -- was given to Mayor Thomas S. McMurry as a gift.

Lion
McMurry gave the hard-to-manage cub to the keeper of City Park, Alexander J. Graham, who started the zoo with this animal. Other animals at the young zoo included native waterfowl at Duck Lake, native prairie dogs and antelope which roamed the park, and a flock of Chinese pheasants, which later populated the eastern plains of the state.

In 1905, a population of red squirrels was added to the zoo's collection; this population grew rapidly and decimated the bird population at Duck Lake. A plan to shoot the squirrels was scrapped when citizens protested; instead, as many squirrels as could be caught were sent to the Denver Mountain Parks.

On November 6, 1994, twin polar bear cubs Klondike and Snow were born to a first-time mother named Ulu, who rejected the cubs.

Giraffe
They were successfully raised by zoo staff and became a popular attraction. The bears now reside at SeaWorld Orlando. Their story is commemorated at the Denver Zoo by a bronze sculpture.

On February 24, 2007, a jaguar mauled zookeeper Ashlee Pfaff inside the animal's enclosure. The jaguar was shot and killed by the zoo's emergency response team while rescuing Pfaff, who later died of her injuries at a local hospital. This event occurred despite zoo policy prohibiting direct contact between keepers and big cats. An investigation by the zoo concluded the attack was the result of human error by Pfaff.

The Denver Zoo is so beautiful and the layout is great and it's easy to get around. The landscaping is awesome. It cost $12.00 to get in and it is well worth the price.

Big Horn Sheep
  They have a wide array of animals to include, Gorillas, Chimps, Lions, Tigers, Camels, Kangaroos, Bears, Elephants, Birds of all kinds, Giraffes, Yak, Wild Horse, Zebra, Hippos, Lemar, Rhino, Red Hogs, Tapir, Seals, Penguins, Sloths, Meerkats, Bald Eagle, Andean Condor, Water Buffalo, Rams, Leopards Flamingos and many many more.

I left the zoo around 11:30am and headed on out to Denver Airport. It was about a 30 minute drive. The signs on the interstate are really easy to follow for returning your rental car. The bus shuttle picks you right where you drop your car off and your off to the airport. I went through security again and this time they wanted to go threw my backpack.  On my way to my gate I stopped by TCBY yougart and got myself a little snack before getting on the plane. I stopped at one of the laptop centers and downloaded my pictures from the zoo and updated my Travbuddy blog. My American Airlines flight 2204 Denver to Dallas left about twenty minutes late. No worries though, I have a two and half hour layover in Dallas.

Lions