A short day trip to Laxön

Alvkarleby Travel Blog

We woke up late, mostly due to trying to get use to the time change I guess, that and we don’t have a clock in our room, so I have no idea what time it is until I get upstairs. We had a typical Swedish breakfast of bread, cheese, thin sliced meat, usually ham, and some coffee. During breakfast, we decided to take Lena’s mom on a drive to Älvkarleby and Laxön which is a well know area for Salmon fishing. This Island also use to be an area used by the Swedish military Core of Engineers to practice building bridges back in the late 1800’s. There are still many buildings up from that time, along with a few restaurants, some shops, a very nice looking hotel next to the river, and two buildings what looked like hostels. This area was very nice and beautiful to walk around. One side of the island has a large dam creating a nice lake. The other side is a natural white water river with many small falls.

I can definitely see myself coming back here and fishing for Salmon sometime in the future!

After spending a few hours here, we drove back to mom’s condo for dinner…sausage, mashed potatoes and green beans. We didn’t stay long after dinner because I was feeling a sore throat coming on, and I was very tired.  Hopefully this sore throat thing doesn't kick in hard and screw up our trip to Stockholm in a few days. I'm going no matter what, but it will be better if I'm feeling good!

Once back to Göran's house, I took some medicine and went to bed. No plans for tomorrow, so maybe I'll stay inside, we'll have to see.

A short clip of the river next to…
photo by: marksreynolds