El Valle and Bambu Bar

El Valle Travel Blog

Bride on way to El Valle

Sunday morning Bruce and I packed our bags and headed out on our 2 day road trip to the mountains and beaches.

We first went to a beach just northwest of Panama City - i´ll have to put the name in here later.  We sat out on a deck and had corvina sandwiches and a lemonade.

Then we started our drive inland and upward - into the mountains and what I thought was a valley but turns out it is a volcanic crater.  We hit the little town of El Valle.  Upon arrival, we strolled through the market looking for arts and crafts.  Some good stuff, but I also wanted to wait and do my heavy shopping at the end of the trip.

After the market, the real adventure began - we crossed the street and went into the bar "El Bambu".

Bruce, at our lunch stop
  This place was crazy.  First, it wasn´t even a bar, really.  It was like a big warehouse with a bunch of plastic tables and chairs and a bunch of men (ok maybe 1 woma) - either passed out, stumbling around aimlessly, or laughing/singing/shouting behind a stack of empties.  When Bruce and I arrived, we were like celebrities.  I don´t think this place sees many gringos.  People came up to us to chat - mainly because they wanted us to buy them beers.  Which we did.  But also maybe because they wanted to practice english, or laugh at us practicing spanish. I don´t know.

We stayed there for an hour or two, mostly talking to Miguelito and a couple other guys.  We mostly stood outside, because inside the warehouse smelled awful, as you might imagine.

Lunch on the beach
  We saw at least 3 fights break out, so that was pretty exciting.  In one, the woman nearly struck a man over the head with a beer bottle, except that someone held her back just in time, before the downswing hit.

Miguelito then took us to the other bar in town - to get there, Bruce and I drove, following Miguelito on his bicycle.  i have a great picture of this, I think.  The next bar was arguably worse.  No windows, stuffy hot as hell, smelly.

I would have loved to take a picture of these places, but was a bit self conscious given the crowds.  You´ll just have to use your imagination.  But very colorful, local bars.  Awesome.

We then made our way up to our hotel called Casa de Lourdes.  This is a neat little hotel built and owned by Lourdes, a French woman.  We had a nice room, and spectacular dinner out on the patio by the pool.  What a great setting - and a far cry from El Bambu!

We called it an early night tonight, and I was in bed by 10pm!

Bruce with the locals in El Valle
Bruce with the locals in El Valle
Dan with the locals in El Valle
Dan with the locals in El Valle
We follow Miguelito to another loc…
We follow Miguelito to another lo…
Coche de Bruce