Panama City Travel Blog

I say "acclimation" but what I really mean is something more like "recovery."  Since we´re at sea level, I can´t blame the altitude.  And since we´re in the "adjusted" eastern time zone (Panama doesn´t recognized daylight savings so it´s only 2 hours difference), I can´t blame jetlag.  Basically, I just overdid it my first night here, a victim of the sheer excitement.

So the bottom line is I woke up around 10am, only to find myself back in bed at 11am.  Then up again around 1pm and back in bed at 2pm.  It didn´t help, though, that it was pooring outside so I didn´t really feel like doing anything anyway.

Later that afternoon, I did take a stroll to a nearby cafe and indoor mall.  Great coffee, disappointing mall.  But it was nearing 5pm so I think shops were closing and people were leaving.

Bruce and I picked up his girlfriend Karine (or is it Carin?) at 7:30pm and headed out to Gaucho´s - a yummy steakhouse where I had a great pepper steak.   Then we went across the street, back to Sahara, for a quick beer.  By 10pm, Bruce and Karine were ready to call it quits.  So on their way home, they dropped me off at the Marriott where a big concert was supposed to be going on.

Well, the concert wasn´t exactly what I was expecting - it was more of a multiple piece big band - with an older, casino-going crowd - which makes sense given that it was in the Marriott´s casino.

So I left, and created my own adventure.  I first hit Sapore de Mare, a local club near Bruce´s.  Not a lot going on there, nor many pretty people.  So I then headed back to Calle Uruguay, stopping in at a club PEOPLE which was supposed to be a hot spot.  Well, the $15 cover validated that it was a hot spot, as did the loud, thumping music and wall-to-wall mass of sweaty people.  As a solo guest, though, it was a bit hard to fit in, let alone talk to anyone.  So I headed back to my comfort zone - Sahara.   A great band was playing, so I stayed and watched.  Ligia invited me to join her table.  She was there alone too.  Since she went to school in the US, her english was excellent, and we spent the night chatting away.  We also befriended a few others as the night wore on, including a pretty drunk kid from Texas who is now living in Panama.  He asked me if I wanted I beer - of course I said sure - and he came back and handed me 3 beers and said "have a good time."  Wierd.  (Of course then he proceeded to talk to Ligia for the rest of the night -- interesting move, buddy.)

I didn´t mind though because Sol had come in, so I chatted with her for a bit - plus it was after 4am so I was pretty done for the day anyway.

Highlight:  the band did a great, sped-up version of Chris Isaak´s Wicked Game.  Awesome.

Panama City