The Arrival

Panama City Travel Blog

Packing at home

I arrived in Panama City this afternoon at 2pm, and found Uncle Bruce waiting for me outside customs/immigration as promised.

Although the flights themselves were relatively painless (a 5 hour flight to Miami, and a 2 hour flight to Panama), the trip seemed to take a while.  The 5 hour trip to Miami was plagued by a reading light that didn´t work - unable to read in the dark, I resorted to watching the movie (Young At Heart - which actually turned out to be pretty good) and trying to doze.  My 5 hour layover at the Miami airport also took a while - I continued with my dozing efforts, but the airport was extraordinarily cold.  Having packed for the Equator and not the Arctic, I was ill-equipped.

Sitting in the airport
  Finally, the 2-hour flight to Panama was, well, interesting.  It was pretty bumpy - no, ok very bumpy - and the woman next to me was scared silly, holding the man next to her (I assume her bf or hub) in a python-like death grip.  I was worried she was going to barf - and in particular, since she would´t want to barf on her bf, I was worried she´d spray the other direction...

Finally arriving in Panama, I pretty much cruised through customs and immigration.  Bruce was there waiting, apparently for the second day in a row.  Sorry Bruce!  Guess we got a little mixed up on fact that my journey was over course of 2 days - although from my perspective I was leaving on Wed, from Bruce´s perspective I was arriving on Thu.  Ooops.  Well, I appreciate the ride!

Bruce gave me the tour of his neat condo in the City - what a killer location!  And he gave me the "powerpoint" intro -- maps, keys, local mobile phone, tips and tricks, etc.

The view from Uncle Bruce's condo
   And he gave me 2 umbrellas - it is the rainy season after all.

We then both took naps and began our nighttime adventures around 7pm.  Oddly, we hit sushi first - a new place we wanted to try.  Then we quickly reverted back to our routine in Uruguay - we hit a couple bars, tried all the local brewed beer we could find, and practiced our spanish with anyone who´d listen.

By 3am, I was sitting at an outdoor club, between Monica and Sol - two lovely locals - sharing beers, eating deep fried shrimp, and listening to 80´s music.  Does it get better than this?

The view from Uncle Bruces condo