Marktheidenfeld

Marktheidenfeld Travel Blog

We were lucky to have chosen this weekend to spend with my friends in Marktheidenfeld - as this was the time they were holding an annual beer festival - a little like Oktoberfest in Munchen but in August. Unfortunately I don't drink beer, but my boyfriend was happy! I have found my own "addictive substance"

The main celebrations were taking place in a HUGE beer tent (where we spent the previous two evenings as well), with live music, crowds of people all with their litres (rather than pints) of beer. A bit noisy and smokey for my taste (smoking ban hasn't yet reached Germany), but good fun - people seemed really friendly, and despite oceans of beer surrounding us, we could not see anyone getting hideously drunk or getting into fights.

It was the night of the lunar eclipse, and the moon was looking quite dramatic in the dark sky next to the big funfair "wheel".

The highlight of the evening - some spectacular fireworks - could be best seen from the bridge where hundreds of people gathered to watch. Strangely, the road over the bridge was still opened with the traffic trying to get through, and my friends chose to stand in the middle of the road in the way of the cars in protest - they felt it was a health and safety hazard to allow traffic across the bridge during the fireworks, and were making a point for the benefit of the local government.

Marktheidenfeld