My Trip to New York, March 2009

Milwaukee Travel Blog

We had a four day weekend that started out with a plan to go to New York to visit a friend. Thursday night the flight for Friday morning was showing only two seats open, and I didn't have the energy or the desire to wake up at 5 am to maybe get on a flight. I explored every single other option. Boston, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Seattle, Atlanta... It wasn't happening. Every single flight was full either there or back. And then I found one! Nashville! Wide open flights, out and back! I quickly went online and checked the weather to see how to dress, and saw those dreaded words scrolling across the top of the screen: Winter Weather Advisory.

This was not the first time I was "supposed" to go someplace else and ended up in Chicago instead. It will not be the last. We were sitting around Friday morning thinking of something to do since we were of course, still in Milwaukee on our day off. Suddenly I remembered the e-mail I got about a week earlier from Travelzoo, for a downtown Chicago hotel. I realized that it was the weekend before St. Patrick's Day. Now, I am not Irish. I do not drink beer. I don't celebrate St. Patrick's Day. But I do like the color green! So I grabbed my computer and typed a few words in my Yahoo search box: green river chicago. And within seconds I learned they would be dyeing the river green the next morning at 10:45. I went on to get the train schedule for the following morning, and we had our big adventure for the weekend.
photo by: nik2blessed