IJEN volcano(Kawah Ijen) in East Java,hell for sulphur miners.
Java Travel Blog› entry 4 of 14 › view all entries
Ijen plateau is located in East Java,close to Bali. This volcanoes complex is a group of stratovolcanoes inside a larger caldera of 20 km wide.Ijen caldera is the largest in Java,today largerly filled with coffee plantations.These volcanoes are dormant but not dead.
The most spectacular is the Kawa Ijen(2300 m above sea-level) ,the bottom of the crater is filled by a magnificent turquoise blue sulphur lake.
This lake,the most acid (ph 0,10 ) volcanic lake of the WORLD is 200 m deep,800 m large .The temperature is between 20°c and 40°C depending of the volcanic activity.
There is a major sulphur deposit activity on the South side of the lake where is a sulphur mining production(sulphur is used in sugar
The sulphur mining operation consists of a number of pipes driven into the solfatara.Molten sulphur flows out of the end of the pipes,
solidifyes,then the miners break up the sulphur deposits and they carry the blocks up to the crater.
These guys,who are paid by weight,are able to carry loads of up 70-80 kg during more than 15 km!!Usually they work every other day bearing 2 loads.Due to the hard working environment and the fact that many miners smoke (Kretek),they usually pass away around 55.
-Dont go in rainy season(November-April),take a sweater,go before 10am!
-Dont go down!
-If you do it,take a bottle of water,good shoes,a mask,a scarf
-Dont SMOKE +++++
GETTING THERE AND AWAY:
The starting point of the easiest and main trek is the PHKT post at Paltuding,15 km far from Sempol.
- The usual road to K.Ijen is from BONDOWOSO,180 km far from Surabaya reached by a 5 hours bus journey,then take a bemo to SEMPOL(running mostly in the morning,maybe 1 in the afternoon) or ojek(motorbike taxi) and charter a transport to Pos Paltuding
- Other road from Surabaya with train transport to Jember then bemo to Bondowoso
- From GILIMANUK in Bali reached by bus,ferries run every 30 minutes 24 hours a day to Ketapang ferry terminal in BANYUWANGI in JAVA,you can reached the volcano by a winding quiet road with some potholes(but we enjoyed it) using chartered motorbike or car with driver(around 600K ) rent down the market ,it seems that there are public transport to LICIN by bemos and then rent an ojek.
-the amazing but pricey Kawah Ijen resort
-Pos Paltuding shelter:no electricity very close to Ijen crater:no electricy
-Paltuding pos(PHKT):small office,water and basic accomodation
-SEMPOL:check Arabica homestay review by our TB Anugrah,argoraung on TB,if full Catimore homestay less convenient
-BONDOWOSO:Anugerah homestay located around 2 km from the bus terminal cheaper then the Palm hotel which organise tours to Ijen ( email@example.com)
-BANYUWANGI:Ketapang Indah hotel,hotel Baru
Around Ijen resort,we did a "jungle trek" and had a warming meetup with little leeches.
The landscapes here are gorgeous.
Amazing pictures and more info in:
rates from $130 to$195,walking rates are cheaper!
in French by Thibaut a French guy in Spore(many reviews and tips on his SEA trips,a delight!)
- Sunrise holidays in Malang,website: www.
- ,some French people have paid recently around 150 euro for a package with pick up in Surabaya and drop to Banyuwangi(ferry to Bali)
We did around the Ijen resort a short hike and enjoyed spectacular landscapes with ricefields and magnificent views on a volcano(it is close to the Ijen volcano but it is not the Ijen) and met friendly people in the close village...