We made it.. to Puerto Rico!!

New York Travel Blog

the night before our trip on the 3rd, i started packing my stuff into a suitcase.. computer(check), tees&shorts(check), bathing suit(check), pjs(check), hmmm the weatherman said rain & thunderstorms till Saturday & we arrive on Wed. so umbrella/raincoat,light sweater (check),toiletries(check),travel docs(ID,travel info, house keys,etc.-check), & oh yes a pocket LED flashlight.. i wanted to bring a whistle but got none so i'll buy that in a store in PR somewhere lolz :#..

my granddaughter woke me up at 4:45am, 15 mins before we leave for the airport so had to rush to clean up & dress & run downstairs with my suitcase & 2 handcarry bags.. my daughter said we had to drive to JFK early to avoid the morning rush specially when school starts that day.. so ok i arranged my suitcase&bags onto the back of the SUV & sat inside -- where are they?! they always do that, rush me to get ready for a trip & then they aren't ready & waiting.. relax froggy keep cool the day is just starting!! a friend was kind enough to drive us to the airport & bring the suv home & promised to fetch us when we come home from the trip, what a nice guy (must remember to bring him a Latina hehe)! the kids didn't like the early trip & they wanted breakfast so after we checked our suitcases in, we had a light breakfast at the airport lounge & then waited for our jet (blue calls flying as jetting).. in my experience, jet blue is always on time & so they were this time too (i like that).. aboard the plane, the younger grandson who was separated from his siblings wanted to sit beside them so i had to ask a nice young man to exchange his seat which was beside me & he agreed.. i like jet blue's efficient crew but they looked unhappy, never caught a smile on that trip & had to pay for the earphones that were suppose to be free before!

there was a lot of turbulence maybe bcoz there were 2 storms brewing in the Carribean that day.. the passengers clapped as soon as we landed safely at SUJ, wow what a ride!! it was raining & foggy when we arrived & we went up & down the airpost terminal looking for the Intercontinental hotel's shuttle & we got the wrong info from different airport personnel & ended up taking a taxi ( i like the taxis in PR, they are vans so we were all seated comfortably, all 7 of us!).. I remembered Francisco's advice, a TB living in PR, that we should set a price with the taxi driver before we board any PR taxi & so we did & got a fair price, thanks Frankie!..

we entered the hotel grounds & i loved the rainforest theme with a waterfall as you enter the driveway of the Intercontinental  Hotel Resort & Casino.. the lobby is spectacularly large & wide glass doors lead you to a very large swimming pool & cabanas with a spa & fitness center amidst more lush greenery.. i was told our rooms were located on the 16th floor & when i opened my hotel room, it was very beautiful with big flat HDTV, a wireless internet right on your TV!, a nice bedside radio/clock with an IPOD dock, & most of all the view on the balcony was breathless -- a full view of the ocean  & the sky & the beach & the resort area!! this is what you are paying for -- that view.. i had a complimentary fruit basket waiting.. all the stress on that turbulent ride on the jet just faded away & i just breathe in the smell of that ocean.. the air was warm & humid even if it was raining, so i closed the glass doors & enjoyed the cool air inside instead..

since everyone was hungry as it was past lunchtime, we decided to walk to the supermarket just acroos the hotel & found some restaurants & fast food chains like BurgerKing, Church's Chicken, Domino's Pizza, a Chinese sit-in, etc., nice!! after our late lunch, the kids wanted to try the swimming pool & my granddaughter wanted to use the fitness center so they changed into their bathing suits & went to swim.. i decided to stay in the room & enjoy the view while checking my emails.. oh yes, i called Francisco to let him know we were in PR & left a message.. didn't want to bother him as he might be at work..

first day in San Juan & it all turned out well in the end.. have to go now, blog more later, hasta la vista TBs!! :)

New York