The Opera

Sydney Travel Blog

Another great day in the city.  We started off going to the Museum of Art and saw the Monet exibit.  I'm not a big art guy, but when I spent a little time with the audio guide I did learn some interesting things about impressionist art.  From there we went down to the Powerhouse museum which is a hands on science museum. That was great and there were tons of things to see and do.

With four of us we were able to cut travel time significantly by taking cabs which we found cost about $12AUD to get most anywhere in the city.  So that's $3/person which is cheaper then the metro for short distances.  We had lunch at a small malysian cafe by the Powerhouse museum and the food was great.

We went to the opera this evening.  The Sydney Opera house is amazing!  The opera (La Bohmme) was okay.  It's sung in italian which makes it impossible to know what's happening without reading the subtitles, but then your eyes aren't on the play and it's difficult to know who is speaking (since they all sound the same when they're singing).  The story was okay.  The experience was great, but genearlly I'll be avoiding operas.

After the Opera we went to a cafe by the Sydney harbor.  My friend and his girlfriend went outside for some fresh air and when they returned announced that he had just proposed to her.  It was very exciting for everyone so we ordered some sparkling wine and celebrated.

photo by: Sunflower300