Monday

Paris Travel Blog

On the Eiffel Tower
We had a nice, but cold cruise of the Seine last night. Winter seems to have arrived at last here in Paris. After the cruise, it was back to the hotel and another early night. This morning, our neighborhood patisserie was back open and so the café au lait and croissants were back on for mom. Our main goals today were the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre. We didn’t have to wait too long to get to the top of the Tower, even with only one elevator working we made it up to the second level in half an hour. Mom isn’t one for heights, so the second level seemed like a good choice. After looking around and pointing out the important landmarks, we headed to the Metro for the Louvre. Mom had read about a soup restaurant near the museum, so we looked for it, unfortunately, it was no longer there.
Mom at the Louvre Pyramid
It was about 2:30, so we headed on to the museum and ate at the café under the pyramid. After lunch, it was on to see the big bang exhibits, Mom was pretty tired, so we went through a little of the Egyptian exhibit, to the Greek and Roman statuary to see the Venus de Milo and the Winged Victory. It was then off to see the Mona Lisa and Liberty Leading the People. The Louvre is fairly massive, so after all that it was about as much as Mom could handle. We were on the Rue de Rivioli, filled with some of my favorite stores, so we took one last detour on the way back to the Metro and stopped into Habitat and H&M for the winter sales, soldes is my favorite French word. For dinner, I went to our local market and bought a picnic for mom and told her that there is nothing on the plan for tonight. Grapes, wine, cheese, baguettes, lemon tarts, and chocolate cookies have been eaten and I think she will be asleep by 8, unless she gets addicted to some show on the BBC tonight. Tomorrow I am checking out the catacombs to see the bone chapels. Then I am coming back to get Mom to take her to Place des Vosges and Village St Paul for the antique stores and then to Forum des Halles for one more attempt to find winter bargains at H&M and Muji. Our last stops are the Arc de Triomphe and then a journey to Montmartre and the Sacre Couer for dinner and a last night view of the city. We leave mid morning on Wednesday and will be back to Atlanta by early evening that same day.
Paris