Early morning departure

Los Angeles Travel Blog

Eurovan for the win.
My friend Dave and I have been wanting to do a Baja surf trip for a while, but we had kept delaying it for one reason or another. Then, on Monday, Dave called me up and said that one of his friends had a van, had just been to Baja a few weeks earlier, and wanted to make another trip. All the stars seemed in alignment so we made quick plans to leave for Baja that weekend.

I was really excited about the trip and had a hard time sleeping on the Friday right before we left. After a restless night I woke up at about 5AM and headed to west LA to meet up at Dave's place. It was there that I met Dave's friend, Manuel, a great guy from Spain who was doing his graduate studies at UCLA and without whose amazing, semi-offroading Volkswagen Eurovan this trip would not have been possible.

We loaded up the van and made good time down to Mexico. Manuel is a grad student in Electrical Engineering, Dave is a grad student in Mechanical Engineering, and I studied Computer Science as an undergraduate, so this was quite possibly the nerdiest van (credential-wise only, of course) to make a surf trip down to Baja ;)
Eurovan for the win.
Negotiating the dirt roads.
Negotiating the dirt roads.