Christchurch, Antartic Centre

Christchurch Travel Blog

Our last day is a rainy day. Where better to spend the day than inside the antartic centre.  We drove there and went in to see what there was to offer.

There were interesting displays of equiptment that would be used in the Antartic.  There was even a room that you could go into if you wanted to, it simulated blizzard conditions and it was my face that hurt! Boy was I glad when they switched the machine off!

We also paid extra to go on the Haag-lund all terrain vehicle which is what is used in the Antartic. There was a man made track that we went on and I was starting to wish that I had not gone on it.  It goes up and down very steep inclines and sideways as well! Then through water, it floats!

We survived! Andrew loved it.  So after that we went to see the Penguins.

They are so cute and the enclosure is set up really well.

A day wandering around, a bumpy ride and some lunch, then it was time to return our rental car.

The car rental company was not far away from the Antartic centre which is near the Airport.  They would not take us back into Christchurch so our options were to wait for a shuttle bus at I think $5 each, take a taxi that would have been about $25 or catch the public bus.

If we caught the bus from the airport side of the roundabout it was $7 each but if we went a couple of hundred metres on the other side of the roundabout it was $2.80 each.  We decided to do this.

We got dropped off at the bus stop and were trying to work out when the next bus was due and hoped not too long because it was drizzling.

Then a bus pulled up on the opposite side, going towards the airport and called out to us.  He was heading to the airport and then coming back our way so his was going to be our next bus. He would be 15/20 minutes doing that but because it was raining he told us to hop on and he wouldn't take the money until we got back to where we had been picked up.

We had a "tiki tour" paid our $2.80 each and were very impressed with the courtesy of the bus driver.

We got into Christchurch and did some last minute shopping before hopping on the free shuttle bus service to get back as close as possible to our hotel so that we didn't have to walk too far in the rain.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Internet again! Wonder what I checked?

Ordered take away from Spagalimi's, yum!  Bags are packed  :-(  Need to get some sleep.

In the blizzard room
In the blizzard room
Christchurch Sights & Attractions review
A touch of the Antartic
On our last day we decided to spend time at the Antartic Centre. It is close to the airport so there were people that were flying out in the afternoon… read entire review
Christchurch