ticket hunt

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Hello dear readers!! If you have not heard of Sziget Festival or you thought it was too far to go, please reconsider! I recommend it 100% to anyone anywhere! Disclaimer: I am going to shamelessly plug the festival in this blog.

So me and my boyfriend Maarten bought our tickets months ago, we agreed that a roadtrip to Hungary and camping for 6nights under the trees on an island in the midst of the Danube would be a wonderful experience. Of course we completely forgot about the HOW of getting there and didn't even consider the hundreds of thousands of others who would also need to get to the festival. Needless to say we found ourselves on saturday, aiming to leave monday, with no tickets and EVERYTHING was booked!

We both spent two days running around from Central Station and back again and to inernet cafes to check every single type of transport we could think of. I even found an enigmatic Hungarian Airline called Wizz but some how couldn't book tickets!! It was very frustrating! And at the same time my dear boy is throwing parties at our house and generally NOT packing!

Eventually we found out that a one-way ticket on the train cost the same as a Eurail Pass for 5days so at least our return was settled as well. It took 15hours of almost continuous travel from Amsterdam Centraal at 8am to Budapest Station 11pm Monday night! Thankfully Sziget was SO WORTH IT!!
Amsterdam