Trekking In The Central Highlands

Da Lat Travel Blog

Tiger Falls from the bridge

I spent an age looking round the many tour companies in Dalat that advertised trekking in the Central Highlands, but every one said they needed a minimum of two people for the trip to go ahead and, seen as I was the only one who had expressed an interest, it didn't look likely. Becoming increasingly bored of looking and concerned as to what is wrong with people who come here - I mean, what else do they do? - I almost gave up at 8:30, as most were shutting, when a company I had talked to earlier said that four people had since signed up.

So, pleased to be heading out to the Highlands of Vietnam, we set off in a minibus to take us to the start of the trek, at the (pretty unspectacular) Tiger Falls. The trek was called the 'Thrillseeker', a 19km trek up over some of the highest peaks in the Highlands but, compared to what I had conquered at Wilsons Prom in Australia, Cerro Fitzroy in Argentina and the Tongariro Crossing in New Zealand, it wasn't as taxing as the name suggests.

View from another
It was probably just about right. The 'thrill-seeking' probably came in the form of the crossings over the La Ba River, always on pretty ropey bridges and a couple of times on 100m suspension bridges with holes where wood footholds should have been.

The highest peak we climbed, according to our likeable guide, Duen, was around 1500m above sea level. Once at the top, there was a cooling breeze where we had some fresh fruit and other things for lunch. Also on our trek we passed through Lieng Tro, a minority village composed of only about 20 families. It was a world away from some of the minority or hill tribes I have encountered so far in Asia, who have picked up an unbelievably astute ability to sell a product, or products, to the people passing through.

We arrived back at the minibus, having done a circle around the mountain peaks, feeling pretty tired and looking forward to a hot shower.

Workers in a field