Too Much Bus

Bariloche Travel Blog

Bariloche Cathedral
After 30 hours of travelling, we finally got out of El Ghostvillage. I say that as if I didn´t like it, I did, it was just good to get away from the climbing community and the cold and wind.

Our delightful trip involved a seven-hour minibus journey, followed by another seven-hour bus journey, then an overnight bus lasting 13 hours took us to our destination, Bariloche in the Lake District. It was to be a journey that was painful but could have been a lot worse.

We start the adventure at the cheapo, last-resort hostel that we had to stay at because of the buses only leaving on odd days. Packed in like sardines in a 12-man dorm, a 4:30am start to leave to catch our bus didn´t appeal.
Not a bad view for a picnic
Add to that the fact that the 10 <<assumption alert>> Israelies in our dorm each brought their own unique sleeping sound to the table - snoring, talking and general scariness, all somewhere along the lines of a bad Darth Vader impression - and a short night´s sleep got even shorter. I found myself having to snap out of zombie mode pretty sharp as we realised the bus we were to catch wasn´t where we were led to believe it would be (there is no bus station in El Chalten). I ended up having to ask some shady characters in a pool bar, and quickly wished I hadn´t as I ended up trying to communicate through the means of arm movements and pointing. Luckily, even though we were late, we found our minibus (not what we were expecting) and set off still petrified we had narrowly missed out on the prospect of another two nights in El Chalten.
Good wire

Then another bus journey, this time aided with the best of DVD offerings so far- Queen: Live At Wembley. Classic Queen.  Even though I wasn´t really in the mood for much socialising having only minutes sleep, we met a couple of guys from Brighton and a couple from Germany who were all on their way to Bariloche, just like us. We were fortunate to have met the Germans as they were (embarassingly) fluent in Spanish, English and French, and were able to translate for us when buying tickets, which was most helpful considering the stress it was about to give us. As we reached the front of the queue for tickets for the overnight leg, we could see from the monitors that there were only two left, and if we hadn´t got them it meant staying overnight and getting a bus the following night.
It´s a lake
I was desperate to get the last two, but the woman serving us spoke no English and we couldn´t understand if there was still room or not. I actually thought she was a bit simple, and it's probably best she couldn´t speak English, given the things I was mumbling under my breath. The German couple helped us and when we realised we had got them, I was the most relieved I think I´ve ever been. For the rest of the journey I sang Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground: Perfect Day. The thought of hunting around in some random town for a hostel, just to kill a day till we could get the next bus didn't appeal.

When we finally got to our hostel in Bariloche, it seemed worth the wait. The hostel's spot on and the area we're in is just beautiful. Already feeling a bit tired, we took a picnic down and sat outside the cathedral, overlooking Lake Nahuel Huapi. Although quite touristy, Bariloche is still very pleasant. Easily covered by foot, there's still a bit to see and do. We went to the Museo De La Patagonia, which contained, amongst other things, stuffed animals you can see at Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi and other artefacts relating to the history of the Patagonian region.

So, journey over. Thank God. And I might even have a cheeky steak later on. Well, it would be rude not to.
Bariloche