Too Many Chefs

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

At the market
Chang Mai has no shortage of courses or activities you can try your hand at, ranging from rock climbing to trekking, from massage to yoga and cooking. Which is what we did with our final day in Chang Mai, at Chang Mai Thai Cookery School, the first school to be set up in Chang Mai.

Now, those who have lived with me in the past (you lucky people), will know that with a little help from Lloyd Grossman cooking sauces, I had pretty much mastered cooking of all sorts, and especially Thai. However, I hadn't done any cooking for a while - what with it being as cheap to eat out in Asia as to buy the ingredients yourself - even the best need refresher courses, and I was keen to see how Thais had developed their own style, and maybe I could learn something from them as much as they have learned from me.

OK, I'll stop lying.

First up, we were given a tour of the market and an introduction into the ingredients we were to use. We were told about different types of rice, noodles and vegetables. Then we headed off to the kitchen. First on the menu was chicken in a coconut soup. After getting a demonstration from the boss man, we went off to our cooking stations to prepare the ingredients and try it ourselves. I was amazed at how I could forget what to do so quickly after seeing it done only moments before. Luckily, a portly Thai lady helped me out whenever I struggled - so pretty much step by step. Then after it was made, we devoured. And mine was pretty epic, I must say.

The day went on like this; as soon as one dish was eaten, it was back into the demonstration room for the next one. Perhaps that was the only negative - as soon as we had forced down everything we had made, it was time for the next dish. A little settling time is required, I feel.

Other dishes we made were a red fish curry, which was the main event. It was supoib. Also, I made an absolute mess of a (supposed) tomato-peel rose in a papaya salad, and we finished with a steamed banana and coconut desert, which gave the red curry a run for its money in terms of a personal fave.

I ended up feeling very full, seen as we ate five courses in about as many hours. Most people said they wouldn't need any dinner. Needless to say, I disagreed. Keep it coming.

jannahw says:
I loved this diary entry, Dan! What a great thing to do!
Posted on: May 02, 2007
Cooking up a storm
Red curry - Kyles, back; mine, fr…
Red curry - Kyle's, back; mine, f…
Leave me, Im eating
Leave me, I'm eating
Its an art
It's an art
And thats a work of art
And that's a work of art
Chiang Mai