Sukhothai Historical Park

Sukhothai Travel Blog

Wat Si Siwai
We had spent our longest stay yet in Chang Mai and thought we could have stayed there even longer, there was that much to do, but hit the road, heading south to Sukhothai, Thailand's first capital.

On the way Kyle earnt herself the nickname The Enigma Machine due to the fact she managed to crack my padlock code after it had reset itself to three totally random numbers. In the end it was mere consolation for the fact that every time - and it really has happened every time - that we get to a guesthouse or go to get a tuk-tuk, the driver only offers to help me with my bags, never Kyle. Much to my amusement. Same with meals - I always get mine ages before hers. It's comedy gold.
Wat Sa Si

The only reason - pretty much - for visiting Sukhothai is the ruins at the Historial Park, which holds 21 sites from the old city, established in the 13th century.

We weren't sure whether we were all templed out after the amazing Angkor Wat ruins, but what Sukhothai's ruins lacked in grandeur was more than made up for in its surroundings - beautiful gardens and moats. To view the ruins, it's best to either walk or hire a granny bike, like we did - although some very lazy people were getting driven around the grounds. All day it was cloudy and humid, but still very hot, so I was willing it to rain. In the end it did, just as we were all templed out. And it absolutely poured it down. Funnily enough, it must have been bright throughout the day without feeling it, as we both clocked that we had pink faces and arms. That's probably the first time I've managed to get sunburnt in a day that it poured down with rain for over two hours. Best get it out of the way before we hit the beaches down south, I suppose.
Zoom zoom