Paris Of The East

Shanghai Travel Blog

Titanic acrobats

I was pleased to arrive in Shanghai and find the city to be more like Hong Kong than Beijing. The capital had struggled to captivate my imagination, even if it does have a more interesting history. The architecture and temples werr all pretty similar and the air quality was a horror show. It was very pleasing to see blue sky and parks, even if the temperatures were getting into silly figures.

We arrived in style; on a super-fast train from Suzhou (I forget how fast exactly), which made a normal journey taking about four hours take half an hour. It was the first time in China that a journey from place to place didn't take more than a few hours.

Useful

In the evening we watched an acrobatic show. This might be the pick of the bunch of all the shows that I've seen in China. I've uploaded the Titanic video to show just how cheesy it really was - I struggled to stop laughing while filming it. It seems Celine Dion is only a bit of a joke in the UK, nowhere else.

Waking up to temperatures in the late 30sC, Greg and I walked up and down the Bund, the tourist mile of Shanghai, and the place where you can see the famous Pudong skyline. Is it as good as Hong Kong's? I'm yet to decide.

We took a ferry across the Huangpu River and walked through the commercial centre of Shanghai that is Pudong New Area. From the 88th floor of the Jinmao Tower we got some highly-impressive views of the city.

After catching the metro back across, we headed to People's Square where there were some gardens to chill out in - as much as you can do in such scorching temperatures.

The Bund at night
We were approached by a Chinese couple who were acting like they were just practicing their English on us. We had been warned about scams by Dragon and were quite prepared for them to ask us to join them for a cup of tea. Assuming this was what they were up to, we would have been taken somewhere to buy something that would suddenly cost a lot more than the average retail price and be told that we would have to fit the hefty bill.

In the evening I accompanied the Aussies on a boat trip along the Huangpu River. To be honest, the skyline is about as exciting as it gets, unless you get excited by the different types of boats the pass you by. Perhaps it summed up Shanghai quite well: it's a postcard city. It doesn't have as much to offer as, say, Hong Kong, which has the pretty skyline and then has a bit of history and a few good temples and such dotted around, too. It's a commercial city with little much else, really. That said, it was far less stressful than some of the place we have visited so far in China, which is going some way when you consider it has a population of over 18 million.

jannahw says:
No Celine Dion at the Reading Festival this year, I'm afraid, but I'm sure you will enjoy it none the less! Your ticket arrived yesterday!
Posted on: Aug 12, 2007
Monument To The People's Heroes
Looking down Jinmao Tower
Looking down Jinmao Tower
Im a long way from home
I'm a long way from home
The Bund from the boat