Nha Trang

Nha Trang Travel Blog

Nha Trang warms up for the Beach Festival

The hot and sweaty coach journey to Nha Trang was memorable only due to the random person next to me's sleeping head getting closer and closer to my shoulder, to the point where I was debating whether to hit him with an unsubtle poke to stop him from getting too cozy.

Once in Nha Trang, I had the mandatory convoy of motos spying me as fresh meat, trying to lure me into their commission-paying hotel. Their line they were dishing out was that all hotels were full due to the Beach Festival that was going on. Actually, they weren't far off being right. Nonetheless, I was about one, "Hey, where you go?" away from punching one in the face before I was accosted by a guy working in a cafe who said he had a room available.

The first letters are AIR, not TH!
With a balcony lookout over one of the main streets, I was happy to throw my bags down - even if it was a total sweatbox.

Still feeling a little aggrevated from the moto-driver harrassment, I had a walk down the beach after exploring the small town centre. My mood completely changed as I met Hoa, from Nah Trang, with his wife and two boys, who invited me to kick a football around with them and laugh at a few of my mispronunications using my Vietnamese phrase book (which, to be honest, was pretty much just out of the cellophane; not that they couldn't tell).

After heading from the beach I was again approached by a moto driver. Again, not taking no for an answer, he said, "Where you go?" Again finding it annoying, I proclaimed, "None of your business!", before quickly sympathising with him and regreting being so abrupt.

Buon = a diamond in the rough
Boun, as he was called, saw the funny side of it, and after some light-hearted banter, I agreed to let him show me some sights the next morning.

The good thing about getting the coaches up (or down) Vietnam is that you bump into several people you met earlier on. Since Dalat I have bumped into and spent a lot of time with an English couple and a girl from Australia, and in a place like Nha Trang, where there isn't too much to do other than relax, eat and drink, it was very welcome. So the four of us took a trip down to check out the 'Beach Festival' that I had seen being prepared while I was exploring the beach. Although it was nice being one of the taller members of a crowd for the first time in my life, I'm not really much of a fan of Vietnamese boy bands, so the music didn't float my boat, so it wasn't long before we slid off and feasted in an ice cream parlour.

Hon Chong Promontory
(Not a holiday; travelling, remember?)

The next day I set off with Boun to see Hon Chong Promontory, where some locals were out fishing, the Po Nagar Cham Towers and Long Son Pagoda. I had another occasion where I felt like a walking dollar sign, when a couple of young girls who claimed they were living at the pagoda accompanied me, uninvited, as I walked round the temple. After some small talk about how England is cold, Cristiano Ronaldo is their favourite footballer and why I sweat so prefusely, out came some postcards that they were selling at thrice the price of what I had seen a pack of ten sold for earlier. I found myself apologising, despite later regretting doing so, because I only had enough money to pay my driver. What annoyed me was the fact that as soon as they realised they weren't going to get what they wanted, I got the grounded-school-children look. This became a minor annoyance in my day that was most enjoyable due to seeing some interesting sights with a great guide in Buon.

The evening was spent checking out a Nha Trang restaurant with the guys I mentioned earlier, then sampling some local beers in the bars that seemed to have happy hour every hour.

Nha Trang warms up for the Beach F…
Nha Trang warms up for the Beach …
Reclining Buddha at Long Son Pagoda