The Neighbours Tour

Melbourne Travel Blog

Denied
If I thought the disappointment of the Neighbours night was going to be remedied by the visit to Ramsey Street, I was mistaken.

Our day had started off in a bit of a stress anyhow, having to find a new hostel because we intended to stay one more night in Melbourne, but didn't intend to stay one more night at Camp Kill Yourself. Unfortunately, the Melbourne Grand Prix was in town, which meant hiked-up prices and limited availability, which meant a lot of walking and a lot of moaning on my part. We found somewhere a little out of the way after being quoted double normal price at a couple of places. It's not great, but it's better than Bakpak. Unfortunately, we weren't finished with Bakpak just yet.
Filming(!)

With our stay there we were given a place each on the Ramsey Street Tour. But, however, it wasn't the official tour, so I was sceptical as to how much we would actually see. I wasn't to be pleasantly surprised. We parked up at Ramsey Street, about half an hour from town, after pointless sightseeing filler throughout  the city centre, and were greeted with a barrier and a security guard. Then in a vain attempt to see some stars round the back of one of the houses - I had already met the stars; I wanted to see props! - our guide did his best ninja impression (as if a bus-load of people in suburbia are going to be stealthy) before we sat outside a fence with a microphone bobbing up and down over it. I felt a great deal of self-loathing as I stood there, knowing we were wasting our time, looking like a group of screaming Take That fans who had lost a bit of enthusiasm in their old age. In an effort to make the tour a little less of a disaster, we embarked again on the bus and looked at some of the locations used (very seldomly) during filming. These included Erinsbrough High, Libby's old flat and - although this could be rubbish - the Salvation Army shop where Harold was found after getting himself lost for all those years.

So, another disappointment. Oh, well. I've already made bezzy mates with most of the cast, the props and that can wait.
Erinsbrough High