Leaving Buenos Aires...then beach time.

Mar del Plata Travel Blog

Tango show

After an hour of looking round for a bar that showed the game, we did indeed find somewhere. Much of the day had been spent just chilling out because it was so humid, so it was nice to get in a bar to cool off. A typical Spurs performance was witnessed - a team that look like world beaters one minute turn into a team full of no-hopers. The usual, "Oh, well..." was the outcome, as we threw a two-goal lead away and drew 2-2, setting ourselves up for defeat in the away leg, and thus clutching defeat from the jaws of victory. As always.

Anyway, enough of that. The highlight of the day, or lowlight, perhaps, was Kyle losing her cashcard. So we had the unenjoyable experience of trying to get through to Nationwide from abroad to cancel it, but fortunately we we were told no-one else had accessed the account.

Parilla

Somewhat relieved, we went out to another Parilla (notice a pattern forming?) for one of the epic steaks. This time we were able to watch a tango show, with an added singing fat woman who kept wanting audience participation, which wasn't welcome, really, cos I was trying to eat! She kept looking over in our direction as if we were supposed to be getting involved. I just kept putting my head in my steak, as she probably would have been doing given the choice, just looking at her.

Today we took a six-hour bus journey to Mar Del Plata, an Atlantic coastal resort popular with Argentinians, especially around this time of year, their summer holidays. A bit like our Skegness, perhaps, but completely not - ie not totally rubbish.

Beast

I felt proud of myself earlier when I had a conversation with someone without using a word of English, when booking our bus tickets. This sense of achievement was shattered when we went out for pizza and some crazy Argentinian guy just spat a load of nonsense at us for ages, then danced around pointing to people's meals to see if we wanted any of what they were having. I thought we were safe with a 'Super' Pizza, but didn't realise super could include eggs. Egg removal and a quick getaway ensued, and we were relieved to go to an ice cream parlour and speak to someone who seemed pleased to use her English language skills on us.

We're here for a couple of days, before heading south to the Lake District and Patagonia, and intend to spend some time on the beach tomorrow. I know. Beach, pizza, ice cream - might sound like we're on holiday, but we're not, this is travelling. There's a world of difference. "How?" you may ask. Quiet, you.

JeAr says:
LMAO!!! :D
Posted on: Nov 20, 2008
jannahw says:
You're 'all drama, pet'; you fell into the 'lad meal trap' - don't you know that Mar del Plata is an anagram of 'Plated Alarm!'
Posted on: Jan 26, 2007