Last Day In Rotorua

Rotorua Travel Blog

Rotorua Museum

Our last day in Rotorua was slightly dampened by the weather. We had pictured another glorious sunny day when we made our plans to spend our time walking outside then chilling out at the Polynesian Spa, and I'm afraid it didn't materialise.

After a quick detour through a Maori-influenced arts and crafts fair, our first sight-see of the day was the Government Gardens, where we walked around some nice floral arrangements and watched some old crumblies playing bowls in the drizzle. On the Government Gardens lies the Rotorua Museum, which used to be the old Bath House before uneconomical maintenance costs forced its closure and has now been reopened with some of the old baths and decor still intact inside.

Huka Falls
The highlight was a film in a cinema that detailed the Maori legend of why the area gets its thermal activity and where the cinema shaked in a reenactment of the volcano of Tarawera Te Maunga Tapu in 1886. I won't give you the whole history lesson - you'll have to visit it for yourself.

After cultural overload, we were peckish. We stopped off at a Japanese retaurant, which was what neither of us had fancied, but it was about three quid for a four-course meal, so we thought it offensive to the Japanese people to refuse such a deal. Perhaps because of this, Kyle didn't admit at this point that she wasn't a fan of Sushi. After she sat watching it for a while, it became obvious the raw fish was going to remain uneaten. Afterwards she claimed that it made her stomach feel dodge, so, as sympathetic as ever, in the supermarket afterwards I blindly led her to the fish counter, and then proceeded to place some chicken necks, chicken hearts and a big ox's heart into our trolley.

Ducks at Lake Taupo
It went down like the sulpher smell in Rotorua. It more than made up for the fact that she had earlier laughed at me eating a block of Wasabi sauce by accident. I thought my face was going to melt.

In the afternoon, we stopped off at the Polynesian Spa, supposed to be in the top ten spas in the world. I think I slightly missed the point, to be honest. I think it's one for the girls. Or, as it seemed, one for great big tours of Chinese men, who wedged either side of me in pools of varying temperatures - some that I didn't dare go above my knees in. I got bored of it very quickly.

That evening we had the pleasure of the company of a Malaysian family - a mother, father and son of 18 - at dinner. The father seemed to know more about us about England, and was certainly more enthusiastic about it, waving his hands at every word uttered and vibrating about on his chair at the reminiscence of what he bought at Tesco.

The pied piper of ducks
He went into great detail in telling us about his day in London, and all the sights he had seen, even spending ages trying to remember the A-road he travelled on from Luton airport into the centre. He also had the cheek to say that Spurs were "going from bad to worse." I laughed at his naivety, but congratulated him on a mutual hatred for Arsenal and was impressed that he knew so much about the Premiership, even though the games were on in the middle of the night in Malaysia.

An early-morning bus ride bypassing at the Huka Falls for a photo and we're at our final destination before flying out of Auckland, Taupo. A leisurely stroll around the lake was about the measure of our first morning, and the only company to speak of was the scavenging ducks who feigned friendship while we ate our food.

And no more sulpherous egg smell here, which means I have to be a bit more subtle when it comes to any unwanted bodily functions. I can no longer blame it on Rotorua, apparently.

Hole-in-one competition