AsiaChinaLeshan

Giant Buddha

Leshan Travel Blog

Giant Buddha from the toes up

Dragon now calls me Monkey Magic - I'm not sure why, but it's a name that I have warmed to. So that's replacing my name from now on. Get used to it.

I've obviously spent too much time in Asia recently because I found myself turning down a Western-style breakfast the other day in favour of a Chinese one. Noodles in the morning is underrated. One custom I can't embrace, however, is in the use of the open, public-access squat toilets found in a lot of public toilets. I get stage fright myself when I'm at the urinal, knowing that people are dropping the kids off at the pool behind me, let alone if the roles were reversed.

Anyway, enough of that.

We have gone from spending a lot of our time in transit to having days jam-packed with things to do. It has been a very welcome change.

Shifty eyes

From our base in Chengdu we headed to nearby Leshan (I say nearby, but I mean relatively; we still did five hours worth of travelling in the round trip). Here we visited the 71-metres tall seated Buddha - the tallest such Buddha in the world.

I couldn't believe how busy it was there, with mostly Chinese tour groups. We had to wait in a queue on a path that took us from next to the Buddha's head, down to the ground below while doing a circle around the massive structure. We amused ourselves by trying out utmost to stop the persistent Chinese tourists who kept trying to overtake us before we finally did the full circle around the Budda. Afterwards, there was a busy temple and pagoda to visit before we headed back to our base in Chengdu.

Shifty eyes
I really didnt intend to
I really didn't intend to
The temple