AsiaChinaDazu

Dazu County Carvings

Dazu Travel Blog

Avalokiteshvara (1007 gold hands)

On the way to Chengdu we stopped off in Dazu County to see the cliff carvings there, dating back to the Tang dynasty in the 13th century. Highlights included the niches depicting heaven and hell and a golden Buddha with over 1,000 hands carved into the cliff-face, all painted in gold. The main event is a Buddha depicted entering nirvana, with the torso coming out of the cliff.

It was highly photogenic and, even though our Chinglish-speaking guide, Peter (if that was his real name), was hard to understand at times, it was quite amazing that the niches were still in such good condition.

The day was hampered somewhat by our journey on from the exhibits. While in a minibus from the exhibits, we noticed the driver suddenly started driving slowly instead of his usual race-driver speed, before clocking that the petrol guage was at empty.

Candle at a Dazu temple
Luckily, we were getting dropped off anyway and caught a public bus for another four hours, heading to Chengdu. It seems to be set in stone (excuse the pun) that I always end up next to the chain-smoking, loud, often-on-their-mobile, spitting idiot and behind the fat, can't-sit-still guy who has to have his chair all the way back, even if he doesn't sit back. It didn't help that the bus driver had to keep beeping his horrible-sounding horn every time he sped past another vehicle on the motorway. I finally arrived in the evening, feeling pretty fed-up with the Chinese, and feeling like we had spent the last few days, pretty much solid, in a bus of some sort. It was a relief to check into a hotel where we knew we would actually be staying for a couple of nights.

It makes me laugh (again and again) that our guide, Dragon, has his own Chinese interpretation on the people in our group's names. I get off lightly, but Greg has become 'Gree', Colleen is now 'Curling,' and the two Jo's are now known as the collective group, 'Jew'. "Where is Jew?" To which I always half-say and half-snigger, "Has anyone seen the Jews?"

Bearded man
Carvings of something-a-rather
Carvings of something-a-rather
The Wheel Of Life
The Wheel Of Life
I love it when a plan comes toget…
"I love it when a plan comes toge…
Wake up