AsiaVietnamHue

The DMZ

Hue Travel Blog

Rusty old tank at Khe Sanh

The four of us booked up on a tour of the DMZ, a 5km wide area of land on either side of the Ben Hai River. Despite being promised being shown a lot of things on the tour that lasted from six in the morning till six at night, we spent the large majority of that on the bus and actually saw relatively little. It was pretty disappointing, and one of the only tours I've done in Asia where I felt like I was on one of the Japanese tourist group tours. Much of what we saw was actually nothing more than a photo stop-off, where everyone piled off, took the snap, and piled back on.

The only real highlight, although still quite similar to what I had seen in Cu Chi, was a trip to the underground tunnels of Vinh Moc.

In the Vinh Moc tunnels
Unlike the ones in Cu Chi, they haven't been widened for tourists. In fact, they haven't needed to be, seen as, for the most part, you could walk slightly bent down and still fit through without getting filthy. This is because they weren't designed for combat, like those at Cu Chi; only to shelter communities from the American aerial bombings.

The other stop-off where we spent any considerable amount of time off the bus was at Khe Sanh Combat base, location of a bloody battle in 1968 where around 500 American troops and 10,000 Viet Cong were killed. Around a visitors' centre were a couple of disused US helicopters and leftover and rusty artillery.

Our lunch did nothing to save what wasn't one of the best since I began my trip, and our lunchtime meal at the chosen restaurant did nothing to alleviate the pain of sitting on a sweaty bus (that could only have its fans on going down hill!) for the best part of a day. It was gross. Still, we tried to amuse ourselves by playing the Fame Game - where you have to guess someone's chosen famous person's name by alternatively asking a series of yes and no questions. Sam didn't seem to grasp the simple rules, leaving us asking questions for what seemed like hours, before we finally arrived at his chosen 'famous person,' Megatron from the cartoon, Transformers.

Mother & Daughter statue