Chilling Out in San Martin

San Martin de los Andes Travel Blog

Welcome to San Martin. Now get out.

After the exhausting two days in Bariloche, we were quite up for a chilled one while in our next Lake District destination, San Martin de los Andes.

A (relatively) short bus journey and our bags checked in, we spent the evening at our new hostel, which I was to later call the mental asylum. It felt like being in One Flew Over The Cuckoo´s Nest. The first night I arrived I stayed with three Argentinian pals who didn't speak English, so I felt a bit like the school loner (no, not again). Then when they left we had a guy called Nicko who was quality. He was very smiley, chirpy and chatty, and even found it far too funny that he got sunburnt and his skin matched his red t-shirt.

On a trek
I told him, "Welcome to my world."

Unfortunately, his stay was all too short, and he was replaced with another loon. I don't think we found out his name, but I will refer to him as Crazyface. He was, again, very chatty, friendly and spoke good English. However, warning signs that one night with him was enough was him asking how he would get a towel if he was getting up early. Repeatedly. Then early in the morning, while we were asleep, the fourth and final room inhabitant, who was quite normal, returned to find the door locked. Old Crazyface had locked the door, even though it was obvious she wasn't back yet - the visual clue being an empty bed - and had hidden the key under his pillow. I did the trusty pretend-to-be-asleep trick and let Kyle deal with it. Like a true gent. He was to get his revenge by waking me up at six in the morning, asking if I had any soap.

Lago Lucar
When I gave him some shower gel, he looked at it as if I had handed him a grenade.. "Yes, mate, it's soap. Now get out."

Anyway, I would like to forget about him.

Our first day was spent walking to the beach at the side of Lake Lacar, and ordering a pizza was about as stressful as it got. No egg this time. Actually, we had managed to walk down the road to the beach the wrong way for about ..an hour ..half an hour, so maybe that was stressful. Or perhaps just stupid. A windy day meant that it wasn't long till our faces felt like they had been sandpapered and we retired to the crazyhouse.

The second, and final, full day we were greeted with rain, so we chose the right day to go to the beach. Once it cleared, we completed a short ascent up a dirt track to the top of a hill to get some good panoramic views of the area.. We almost felt as if we had cheated in getting the views, seen as we had to work so hard the previous Lake District outting to see similar beautiful scenery from up high. My behind has only just recovered from that trip, and I still have nightmares about bikes and hills.

And it´s a fairly unromantic Valentine's Day today for the pair of us - another 24-hour bus journey to our next destination. Very romantic. Well, could be worse. Could have to stay another night with old Crazyface.

JeAr says: