Arrival in BA

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

A park downtown

We arrived in BA on Thursday morning after an all-night flight, but after getting very little sleep on the plane it felt like a very long Wednesday. The first thing that hits you is the traffic around the city. There are very rarely less than three lanes, often up to eight or ten. The taxi ride from bus depot to our hostel was eventful to say the least. I've never been so grateful for seatbelts. It felt like the driver was in a computer game or summat. The lines on the roads are pretty much pointless and the little green man at pedestrian crossings has obviously had all responsibility stripped of him. It's as if he's saying, 'No, don't do it!''

The first main event was finding out the hostel we were staying at had no record of our reservation and, typically, no room.

Jealous? You´re jealous.
We were in a bit of a panic, seen as it's summer holidays here, that we wouldn't find anywhere, but after a sweaty 15-minute walk we found another hostel, but unfortunately our plans of easing into spending our nights in shared accommodation were scuppered as the only rooms they had were in single-sex dorms. I had the pleasure of meeting some Japanese kids who spoke perfect English but had all the conversational skills of a muzzled dog.

Anyway, the best thing so far has been the steaks. I said earlier in the day something along the lines of, ''There is no way that these can live up to the billing - they've been hyped up too much.You could say, 'the steaks are too high!'" I hear you rolling around the floor with laughter, just like the city of BA. Anyway, how wrong I was. I typically went for the "double beefsteak,' and it was far too big, but I devoured it nonetheless.

JeAr says:
can't believe i just stumbled upon this blog! downright funny! :D
Posted on: Nov 20, 2008
Isoinspira says:
The steaks are AMAZING, aren't they! I forgot to grab a picture of mine:) Smart move!
Posted on: Mar 25, 2007
jannahw says:
I'm jealous! Not just the huge steaks but the blue skies!
Posted on: Jan 22, 2007
Jealous? You´re jealous.
Some crazy train thing that went o…
Some crazy train thing that went …
An ´Apparilla´, or steakhouse.
An ´Apparilla´, or steakhouse.