Sea Kraits and Snorkels

Pulau Tiga Travel Blog

A hammock? Good idea!
After a day or rest, relaxation and running away from marauding monkeys we decided to take part in some of the trips the resort offered. The first was a visit to Snake Island. We boarded the ferry, and rocketed across the water until we reached the island, ready to look for the eponymous snakes. Now, at the time we didn't realise that the banded sea krait is one of the most poisonous creatures in the world. Also, we didn't expect to have to clamber over more razor sharp rocks in unsuitable footwear. We were even more surprised when our guide started poking under rocks with a short stick to try and get the snakes attention.

Shortly he managed to wrangle one, and held it up proudly for us all to see. We peered nervously from behind each other's shoulders, then, getting braver we moved closer and closer.
Me in the hammock. Bliss.
One brave child reached out a hand, the guide spun round to let him nearer the snake, as one we panicked, sensing attack, bites, death and screaming. We shrank back with a gasp. Eventually, we realised that the snake was unlikely to attack anything or one, and that it actually was rather placid and relaxed. Our guide returned it to its rock and we stumbled back to the boat. It's not often that you meet an animal that can easily kill you close up, but enjoyable and interesting, certainly once you know the snake is gone.

After tangling with sea snakes, we went for a snorkel, another first for me on the trip. Our friend, (who is annoyingly right about everything), suggested we put toothpaste in the goggles to ensure they didn't steam up. Having got toothpaste in my eye, I flapped into the water - feeling slightly like a sea monster or half blind pirate. It was an amazing experience, one I hope to repeat again in the future, seeing a range of fish and coral, flopping around and occasionally trying to to drown myself. Great fun.

Returning to Pulau Tiga, I pulled myself into a relaxed position and watched the sunset with a beer. Bliss.
A hammock?  Good idea!
A hammock? Good idea!
Me in the hammock.  Bliss.
Me in the hammock. Bliss.
The beach from hammock.
The beach from hammock.
The mud volcano.  Apparently it ma…
The mud volcano. Apparently it m…
The jungle on Pulau Tiga.
The jungle on Pulau Tiga.
Pulau Tiga