Siem Reap and the temples

Siem Reap Travel Blog

drive from PP to SR

We got up early for a bus trip up to Siem Reap.  The ride took 4+ hours but had some great views of the countryside and the farming along the way.  Sadly this was the minute I started getting sick, which would pretty much plague me for the rest of the adventure.  I think I was having some allergies to all of the dust and bad air, bring some allergy pills maybe...I didn't :(.  Along the way we stopped at a villiage and I attempted to explain my symptoms of coughing and sneezing to the local pharmacy (a tent with some pills) but you can imagine that didn't work out so well.  They sold me some wet naps, which I bought for some reason, but didn't help out my situation much.

Our driver didn't show up at the bus stop, but we got a new guy and it worked out amazingly well.  He took us to our guesthouse, Mekong Angkor Palace, and pretty much arranged the rest of our trip through him, worked out great!  He was always where he'd said he'd be, took us to the popular places and gave great tours through the temples.

Siem Reap is like Las Vegas compared to Phnom Penh, it is setup for tourists and designed to bring in revenue.  Clubs and restaurants are everywhere, there are loads of nice hotels and unlimited numbers of tuk tuks.  You can certainly stay on the cheap though, just find a guest house as we did.

On night one we went to the temples for sunset.  You can buy a day pass which will get you in the night before to climb one of the temples for sunset.  There was so many people going for this that we didn't really get up in time to see it, so make sure you go early enough to get a spot and take it in.  It was a nice preview of Angkor Wat and the surrounding temple for the next day's trek.

SR transport

Our driver had a full on itinerary for us dropping us off in one spot and picking us up in others allowing us to walk through at our own pace and take in all the beautiful stone work.  I can't really explain it so you'll have to see the pictures, you'll see why this is a wonder of the world.  We only had a day and saw about 10 temples rather quickly.  You could surely spend 2 days there but you might get a little templed out by the end.  A good driver will make all of the difference for your temple experience, we really lucked out!

Angkor Wat walls