Bangkok Tour

Bangkok Travel Blog

We had one day in Bangkok so we wanted to make the most of it.  We were on the streets by 7am so we had plenty of time to do it!

We stumbled around in a sleep deprived state for a bit in Siam Square.  All of the locals were walking to work stopping at the dozens of street carts to buy breakfast and presumably lunch for later.  I wasn't brave enough to dip into the street food on day 1 of my trip, but I probably should have as it looked great.  Siam Square is as western as it gets with shopping malls and every major chain store/restaurant you can think of.

I had mapped out a way to to the river to take a boat up to the grand palace, but that failed me quick and we ended up in a Tuk-Tuk quite quickly.

Once in the tuk-tuk you are at the hands of the touts despite giving directions.  We stopped at a tourist booking agent which seemed like a trap and finally got the driver to take us to the Grand Palace.  Once there we got severl stories, all a bit different, but basically the consensus was the palace was closed until the afternoon for a ceramony.

We decided to take a yellow tail boat tour through some canals and along the river.  It turned out to be great!  The two of us flew along the canals in and amongst the locals and stopped at a few floating markets.  You really get a sense of how people live and get some great photo opportunities.

Once back on shore we toured the palace grounds.  Get an audio tour because there is so much in there and without it you'll have no idea what you're looking at.

The whole comples is pristine and the architecture amazing.  Lots of photo ops, tons of people and some amazing altars.  It will take a couple of hours.

From there we got in another tuk-tuk and got dragged to several 'silk' and 'jewel' shops.  The drivers someone convince you to go in and leave within 5 minutes because they get petrol vouchers.  In reality you haven't got much of a choice as you don't know where you're going and are pretty much blind by the smog on the streets anyway.

We ended the day with a trip to a tailor on Sukhumvit Road for some custom shirts (which have held up very well) and dinner at the top of a nearby hotel.  Went to bed early from lack of sleep and an early flight to Cambodia.

Bangkok