My favorite place

Sorrento Travel Blog

Sorrento
Caught the train to Naples and then took the local train (Circumvesvian) to Sorrento.  The Circumvesvian wasn't the most comfortable ride, but the cheapest way to get to Sorrento.  The hostel (Seven Hostel) we stayed at was great, I absolutely loved staying there.  It felt more like a resort than a hostel and it was cheap.  We dropped off our stuff and walked along the coastline, stopping at a few viewpoints suggested on the map.  The water was amazing, it was blue and so clear that you could see everything on the bottom.  There was a gorgeous villa right along the cliff side, a local told us that it's currently abandoned because the previous owners had bad luck with it.
  The villa is considered to be cursed so no one wants to buy it.  We walked toward the Sorrento train station to catch the bus to the Amalfi Coast.  Purchased our tickets at the tobacco shop and hopped on the first bus headed there.  The bus ride there had the greatest views of the ocean and the cliffs.  The road was kind of windy and narrow.  The water below was so inviting, I really wanted to go for a swim.  We arrived in Amalfi after about 90 minutes and headed straight toward the water.  There was a small pier where we sat for a bit admiring the crazy views.  I wanted to hike along a trail that I read about online, but it didn't seem like we had enough time.  We just wandered around the town a little bit and had some gelato.
Clear blue water
  Amalfi is a pretty small town know for making paper and tiles.  There was a well known Duomo, but we didn't go inside.  It started to get dark so we headed back.  It would have been nice to stop at Positano along the way, but there wasn't enough time.  Met some cool people on the train ride back and they happened to be staying at the same place.  Had a cheap and amazing dinner at the hostel and book our Capri tour for tomorrow.  Super stoked to see the Grotto Azzurra, it's the main reason for coming this far south in Italy.

Finally got to wear my bathing suit during this whole time in Europe.
Amalfi Coast
  The privte boat tour cost 54 Euros and included a trip to Capri, the Green Grotto, White Grotto, and Blue Grotto.  Most of the people on the tour were staying at the hostel, except for 2 other people staying at another hotel.  We crammed into a mini van and headed to the port where we met our Captain.  Again the water and the views were amazing, I just can't get enough of this blue water.  We rode our boat along the coast and made our way to the island of Capri.  It was a nice ride with great views of the coast, you could even see Mt. Vesuvius.  The Captain dropped us off and gave us 2 hours to explore the island.  We all hiked up a steep path that lead to the city center, giving us a view of the bay.  It was so pretty, I want to live in Capri.  We wandered around the city center, taking a bunch of pictures and did a little bit of shopping.
Amalfi pier
  We made our way back to the port and hopped back onto the boat.  We drove around the entire island, stopping to swim and explore the grottos.  The weather was perfect, nice and sunny.  The White Grotto was pretty cool, we had to hike up to the opening.  The grotto was filled with limestone stalagmites and stalactites.  Our last stop was the Blue Grotto, and it was definitely the best part of the day.  We actually got to swim in the grotto, the water was pretty cold by that time.  The sunlight reflects of the limestone sand on the bottom making the water glow neon blue.  I would have liked to stay in there longer, but the tide was getting higher and the opening was getting smaller.  The water was seriously glowing, it was awesome.  The blue grotto is something everyone has to see.
Amalfi

The plan for today was to hit both Mt. Vesuvius and the Ancient City of Pompeii.  Took the Circumvesivana to Pompeii and found the bus that took us up to the entrance of Mt. Vesuvius.  Our bus driver was crazy, he was driving pretty fast up the winding street.  I watched him drive the bus with one hand and he even startled a few drivers, it was kind of funny.  We made one stop at a small store, where we met the "guardian of Vesuvius."  He gave us a brief history of Vesuvius and the many erruption over the years.  He use to operate the funicular that took people up to the crater, but it was destroyed by one of the eruptions.  We got back on the bus and made it to the final stop.
  We paid the entrance fee and hiked up to the crater.  It was a pretty steep climb with loose gravel everywhere, luckily an old couple was handing out walking sticks.  However, I still managed to fall twice by tripping over the walking stick.  Hiking up there gave a great view of the Bay of Naples, hard to enjoy when you're out of breath and sweating.  Finally made it to the top and peered into the large crater.  It was a giant crater in the middle, there was one small area where you could see smoke coming out.  It seemed like each section of the crater had a different color to it, some parts were redder than others.  The view on the top was even better, you could see the island of Capri in the distance.  We quickly made our way back down to catch the bus back to Pompeii.
Duomo in Amalfi
  Got back to Pompeii and headed to the Ancient City. We purchase an audio guide and got our free booklet of the city.  The audio had different tour options depending on how much time you had, we chose the 4 hour tour.  The city was covered from the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius, preserving everything.  The ruins were interesting to see, it gave a perfect example of how people use to live.  There were several temples, houses, and stores within the city.  There was even a brothel, with mosaics showing different positions their clients could try out.  The most disturbing part was seeing the plaster casts of the people who were trapped in the eruption, you could see their facial expressions.  There was even a plaster cast of a dog.  The perserved frescos in each building was probably the most impressive.

I'm really glad we stayed in Sorrento, it was the perfect place to do our day trips.  I loved it there.
lunitacrazy says:
Very nice blog. I am going to Sorrento tomorrow and I am very excited :)
Posted on: Jan 27, 2012
travelman727 says:
Great blog and wonderful photos! Like you, the Amalfi Coast is my favorite place :-D
Posted on: Mar 03, 2009
Entrance to Blue Grotto
Entrance to Blue Grotto
Mt. Vesuvius in the distance
Mt. Vesuvius in the distance
Me & Zeus (Mt. Vesuvius keeper)
Me & Zeus (Mt. Vesuvius keeper)
Made it to the top of Mt. Vesuvius