Zermatt Travel Blog

Matterhorn

I felt a bit queasy on the train ride to Zermatt, I think the altitude was getting to me. It was really cold at Zermatt, the town was pretty small.  On our way to the hostel, we could see the Matterhorn and it was magnificent.  It looked just like the one at Disneyland, except much bigger and there was no snow monster living inside. (I think).  Dropped off our things at the hostel and purchased tickets to go up to the Gornergrat, which gives a great view of the Matterhorn.  The Eurail pass did not cover this ride either, but we got another discount. On the ride up to Goerngrat, there was this cloud blocking the peak of the Matterhorn.  I was hoping that the cloud would pass or we would be at a better angle, sadly I was wrong.

Me and the webcam (I'm standing next to the green Van)
  There were a bunch of trails in the area, but we weren't really equipped and had no idea where the trails lead toward.  We just spent the whole time admiring the view and hoping that the cloud would move.  After several hours, it started getting cold because we weren't moving around so we decided to head back down to the city for dinner.

Before I took off for my trip to Europe, I found out that Zermatt had a bunch of webcams placed around the city and around the Matterhorn.  There was one camera next to the train station.  I printed out the image of the area the webcam would be so that I could find the exact location and I figured that there was a 5 minute interval between pictures.  I arranged a date and time with a friend so that she would see me on the webcam and it was a success.

The one and only reasons I wanted to go to Zermatt was to see the Matterhorn, mission accomplished!

Matterhorn
Me and the webcam (Im standing ne…
Me and the webcam (I'm standing n…
Gornergrat