Made it to Dublin, Ireland

Dublin Travel Blog

St Stephen's Green Park
Flew into Dublin around 8AM local time. Everything went according to plan, got off the plan and caught the shuttle to the hostel.  Drop my things off and started the Dublin Bus Tour, which was very helpful and entertaining. Everyone here is really nice and helpful, I think Ireland was the best place to start my travel.

Found the first stop for the Dublin Bus Tour, which is a 24 hour hop on hop off bus.  The bus takes you to all the major points in Dublin, which include Trinity College, St. Stephens Green, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Temple Bar and many other well known places. I decided to take the bus around the whole route, trying to figure out what there is to see and how close everything is to each other.
Dublin Castle
  All the major sites are pretty much walking distance, so I decided to check out the areas farthest first with the bus.  I'll post a few pictures and go over some highlights.  Checked out St. Stephen's Green which was a really nice park in Dublin, there were a bunch of lakes, fountains, and statues all around. It reminded me of a mini Central Park.  I also stopped off at Dublin Castle, just wandered around the Castle.  I've been told that much of the Castle was damaged by a fire, so half of it has been rebuilt with obvious brights colors that don't blend in with the rest of the Castle.  From the Castle I made my way to the Christ Church Cathedral, Dublinia, and St. Patrick's Cathedral.  Just did a lot of wandering, just trying to keep busy and stay awake.
Dublin Castle yard

The next day I still had sometime left to hop on and off of the Bus, so I wanted to check out Pheonix park.  The park is the largest enclosed park in Europe and also contains the Dublin Zoo.  (Random fact for my MGM readers, I found out that the MGM lion that is shown in front of every movie was born and raised in the Dublin Zoo and his name was Leo.  Also that they only had 2 days to film the clip and the best shot they could get was of the Lion yawning and then dubbing in the roar afterwards. I thought it was pretty cool.) The park also has the Wellington Monument, that was dedicated to the Duke of Wellilngton after defeating Napolean at Waterloo.  After the park I decided to do the Historical Walking Tour, this tour starts at Trinity College and takes you to the major points in Dublin going over the history.
St Stephen's Cathedral
  The tour guide was full of information, so much information that I started to get bored. I was a little disappointed in the tour because I didn't think he used each of the locations to his advantage.  After the tour I did more wandering, checked out the Molly Mallone statue aka the Tart with the Cart. According to the tour guide, she used to sell seafood by day and her body by night. haha. There's even a song that goes with it. Walked along the Liffey River back to the hostel.  I wanted to make sure I had a good nights rest before the Paddywagon Tour the next day.

I'm really bad at blogging, so hopefully my entry's get a little better as I go on.  Miss you all and know that I'm still alive. I'll try to update as much as I can.
azsalsa says:
Tart with a Cart.....wait a minute, I thought that was the description of a British flight attendant!!
Posted on: Feb 26, 2009
Biglush_23 says:
Blarg!! Wheres the photo of the Tart with a Cart?! Whats a Witches Stone and why are you blowing into it?! Why do people kiss the Blarney Stone?! Tell me more...arg!! Hahahaha!!
Posted on: Sep 28, 2008