Innsbruck

Innsbruck Travel Blog

Goldnes Dachl rooftop

Added Innsbruck to the itinerary to cut down the travel time between cities, there honestly wasn't much to see in Innsbruck. Probably would have been better as a day trip, rather than an overnight.  I must say that the people who live here are extremely nice and helpful, we were having trouble with our bus tickets and this little old lady tried to help us straighten things out (she spoke no english). Once we found our hostel and got settled, we walked down to the "Old Town" of Innsbruck.  I wanted to see the golden rooftop (Goldenes Dachl), which was built in honor of Maximilian I. It was pretty cool, the roof top was covered in gold shingles and the balcony was covered in detailed carvings.

Goldnes Dachl
Next we made our way to see Dom St. Jakob, sadly they were cleaning one of the towers (more scaffolding). The outside of the Dom is not as impressive as the inside, with pink and white marble everywhere.  The domes up on the ceiling were decorated with amazing frescos.  The main focus was the altar, which displayed a small painting of Our Lady of Succor and surrounded by gold and silver.

After the Dom we grabbed some lunch and then headed toward the Anna Column, which was obstructed by street construction.  Further down the street was the Trumphal Arch.  This Arch was definitely not as impressive as the one in Berlin, much smaller.  We just wandered around for the rest of the day, relaxing and people watching at Hofgarten.  I wish we had gone to see the Schlob Ambras, but I really needed a mental break for a day.

Ended the day with dinner at Augustiner Breau Munich, had some great beer and more weisswurst.  The weisswurst is really good, I'm so glad it was recommended to me or else I would never have thought to try it.  Entering Switzerland tomorrow.

Inside Dom St. Jakob