Canyoning!

Interlaken Travel Blog

The train ride from Lucerne to Interlaken had an incredible view the entire route.  Interlaken is situated right between Lake Thunersee and Brienz.  The color of the water was really quite beautiful, a kind of milky turquoise.  Once we got settled and situated at the hostel we headed back to Lake Brienz and took the trail along the water.  The further along the trail we got the grander the our surrounding became, it was beautiful.  Just kept walking and walking until it was time to turn back.

The next day we decided to go up to the Jungfraujoch.  Our eurail passes didn't cover the train ride, but it did give us a discount on the tickets.

Lake Brienz
  It was a little bit pricey, but it was totally worth it.  It took about 2 1/2 hours to get all the way to the top (Jungfraujoch Top of Europe), there were a few stops along the way.  Once we arrived to the top we headed to the Ice Palace, which was really cool and fun.  There were a bunch of ice sculptures and tunnels that you could walk through, you're totally surrounded by ice.  After walking through the Ice Palace, we made our way to the Plateau.  The Plateau was outside and it was really cold.  It was really slipperly trying to walk around on the snow, which was slightly sloped.  It was an amazing view of the Jungfrau region, totally unobstructed.  Stayed out on the Plateau until it got too cold and then went inside to warm up a bit before heading up to the Sphinx viewing platform.
  They actually had a post office up there, so I sent a couple from there.  Once we were warm enough we took the elevator up to the Sphinx.  It gave an even better and higher view of the area, we could even see people hiking below on the glacier.  Usually they have a lot of activities down in the glacier area, but I think due to low season there wasn't much out there.  We went down and outside to hike the glacier path that lead to the Monchjoch Hut.  It was really cold, but warmed up quick once we started walking.  The trail was slowly slopping upwards, I was getting really tired.  Walking on the glacier was freaking awesome, the snow was so soft and the views were amazing.

One of the main reasons why I wanted to go to Interlaken was to go Canyoning.

The next day, I booked the trip with Alpine Raft.  I was super excited, I wasn't sure if I would be able to find a company during the low season.  For those of you who don't know what canyoning is, it is "hiking, jumping, leaping, rappelling, and sliding down a usually wet slot canyon, with pools of water, running water, and/or waterfalls."  The company picked me up and we headed to the base to get all the gear and equipment.  I put on booties, boots, 2 wetsuits, harness, life jacket, and a yellow helmet.  The wetsuit layers made it hard to move around, but it kept me nice and warm in the cold water.  The entire Canyoning experience was totally awesome, I wish it was longer.  We slide down a bunch of natural water slides, jumped into pools of water, and repelled down a waterfall.  I definitely would do this again, maybe an intermediate trail.

lildancer79 says: