Belgium

Brussels Travel Blog

Grand Place
Brussels was a very small city, totally see-able in 1 day. Just hit the major sites around the old town.  Before we headed over to the Grand Place, we had to try a Belgium waffle. The waffle was good, I should have splurged a little and added some toppings. We walked to the Grand Place and the buildings were quite magnificent.  There seemed to be a stage set up for a concert that night, which totally blocked my pictures. After gawking at the Grand Place, we went to look for the Mannequin Pis around the corner.  They've totally exploited this little fountain of a boy peeing, with a bar named after it on the corner, chocolates, candies, and cork screws in the shape of it.
Grand Place, Cathedral
It`s a pretty funny statue, that has several different costumes that they dress him in every year. We actually saw some of the costumes on display in the city museum. There`s an Elvis, Samurai, Mickey Mouse, and a lot of other costumes. After the Mannequin Pis we went to look for the girl version, Jeannke Pis. It`s a statue of a little girl squatting into the fountain, however the fountain was gated up and not working so it wasn't as nice. Then we went to the chocolate museum and learned the secret to Belgium Chocolate. Had some free samples of chocolate and they showed us how to make pralines. Just wandered around the city, walking through the streets. Ended the day with some mussels and beer at one of the restaurants.

The next day we took the train to Bruges, it was a very small city so we easily saw everything during the day.
Mannequin Pis
  The first thing we did was head to the tourist information office for a map and some tips of the city, the lady at the tourist office was super helpful and mapped out a route for us to follow.  Our first stop was the Church of Our Lady, which contains Michelangelo's Madonna and Child (one of the few pieces outside of Italy). After the church we followed the canal toward the boat tour, hoped onto a small motor boat that took us through the canals for a different view of the city.  Bought an ice cream on the way to the Markt where the Belfrey Tower was situated, I managed to climb up all 366 steep steps for a great view of the city. After I made my way down the tower we further explored the city and headed to the Windmills located on the outskirts of the city.  Since I wasn't able to see any Windmills in Amsterdam, I was deteremined to find some here.  These windmills were huge and pretty cool, wish I could have gone inside.  Again, the city was pretty small so we just walked around a little more and had some dinner before we headed back to Brussels to catch our night train to Berlin.
Jeanneke Pis