A confrontation with recent history

Phnom Penh Travel Blog

Killing fields
Phnom Penh. I like this city a lot. Here you see a country trying hard to become a better place to live in, without giving up its identity. Nevertheless, especially when you take a look in the outskirts, you also see there is still a long way to go. What strikes me most is the optimistic, humouristic and relativizing mentality of the Cambodian people. Less pushy than the Thai and more open than the Laotians. I know, this is nothing more than a silly antropological insight of a bypasser, but you willl notice it too: people overhere are really nice !

One of the mainreasons why I came to Phnom Penh is my interest in what happend here back in the '70's during the Khmer Rouge regime.
Royal palais district
In recent years I visited other places where interhuman disasters did take place like Nagasaki and Hiroshima. I find it important to confront myself with these extreme aspects of human behaviour. Hope it makes me a better man...

The Tuol Sleng museum, a school that was used as a torture centre, is the first bizar place I visit. Can't help crying a bit when I walk through the former classrooms of this insane place where cruelty beyond comparison was a daily routine. The killing fields, about 10 miles outside the innercity, are another 'must see' when you are in Phnom Penh. In places like this thousands and thouands of people were actually killed because a criminal had a dream about proletarian Utopia... When you look at all the friendly and optimistic people you can't hardly imagine the horror that has taken place here.

Phnom Penh is certainly a place I can recommend to everyone who is interested in recent history, culture and watching Asia working on a better future.
Heavy traffic