From Vientiane to Phnom Penh

Phnom Penh Travel Blog

Daan on his way to Phnom Penh
I don't carry a backpack, just a small bag with some handluggage. I decided to do so since I noticed, about 10 years ago, that half of the things I used to stuff my backpack with remained unused. So I only bring the things I really need like a few pieces of underwear and t-shirts, a pair of jeans and shorts and a towel, along with the usual stuff like a small first aid kit, medicines and toothpaste. When I need something, I'll buy it. Decadent? No. Efficient? Yes! It's lighter, easier, less exhausting, better for my back and... I never have to wait at any luggageclaim!

Vientiane is small and so is Vientiane Airport. The timetable tells us there are only 10 regional flights today. One of them is ours to Phnom Penh.
Traffic jam in Phnom Penh
Although this flight only takes one hour and a half, it is rather expensive (USD150). At Pnom Penh Airport we walk straight through Customs. Luckily border formalities are less eleborate and tedious than in Laos. Once outside the airport we are divebombed by tuktuk and taxi drivers. Prices seem to be fixed at USD9. Time to let 'Sly' do the job.

This is one of these rare occasions that I can make some massive disadvantage of my Indonesian roots. I show the drivers my pokerface and tell them that it's no use to fool us. We know the routine from back home. I mean, I am no tourist, I am an expat from Indonesia and his son ("I don't carry a backpack, see, just office stuff so drop your prices"). Believe it or not, most of the time this trick doesn't work, here it does. While we watch our first fellow passengers/prey getting attacked by a wild flock of taxi vultures, we are in a tuktuk on our way to Phnom Penh centre. For only USD2.

Phnom Penh