Vientiane

Vientiane Travel Blog

Monks
Everytime I approach a capital I get a bit nervous. The closer I get the more I start worrying. Without any reason ofcourse. Most of the times this uneasy feeling vanishes after a few minutes. Not in Vientiane. When I left the bus it disappeared inmediately. Unlike hectic capitals like Bangkok, Hong Kong or Tokyo, Vientiane is a rather a town than a big city. But it is nice. And it's quite easy to find your way. Most entertainment you'll find around the river and in a few streets crossing the boulevard.

Nevertheless, I must admit, despite a few interesting sites Vientiane doesn't have anything special to offer, really. It's an easy going place, certainly worth a visit, but at same time I found it a bit dull. But then, this kind of laid back dullness is the proper remedy to slow things down a bit. I mean, traveling in a rather high pace for two and a half weeks with a 15 year old boy is rather exhausting, especially for him.

So we fill our days with not really doing much apart from eating, drinking and meeting people. What I enjoy most is just wandering the streets and watching the Laotians doing their daily things. In 2 days we'll be flighing out to Phnom Penh. Yes, I decided to fly. I want to save time so we can spend the last 3 or 4 days of our vacation somewhere on a beach of a tropical island. Boy... am I looking forward to that!!
Pagode