Siem Reap

Siem Reap Travel Blog

Transport to Angkor
What a difference between day and night! During daytime there is nothing much to do in this sleepy town. But wait until sunset. Then this town wakes up! Check out the nightmarket, the bustling bars, the massage parlours, the food (try the Khmer speciality Amok, fish in coconut sauce, yammie yammie!), the foodstalls and restaurants (the one near the bridge, just around the corner of mainstreet is very good) and local kids playing foortball.

And what a small world we live in. While we are working our way through the crowds, determined to get a real bargain in the nightmarket, suddenly one of our German friends that we have met a few weeks before in Chiang Mai, stands right before our eyes. What a delightful coincidence!

In Siem Reap there is no lack of accomodation.
Coconuts
You'll find a wide variety of guesthouses, hotels and resorts in all ranges. When you visit Siem Reap during lowseason, things get even better. Some hotels drop their prices dramatically in this period. Most of the time I opted for a mid-range guesthouse, because of my still rather young son :-), my age :-( and my wallet :-). But, although I can afford a bit more nowadays, I love discounts! Especially in Cambodia where things tend to be expensive since almost everything is priced in US dollars. We found a nice place to stay left at the intersection, 50 meters beyond the gasstation, just before you leave the towncentre: a pleasant hotel with lots of wood and vast, comfortable rooms, including clean towels and sheets everyday: USD20 for a twin.

Tommorow: Angor. Tonight we have some heavy beer drinking to do with our found again German friends. Prost!

Election campagne (27-07-08)