Luang Prabang

Luang Prabang Travel Blog

Orange
This is really a very friendly little town. It provides in lots of things to enjoy. And in an overload of beauty. Walk along the riverside as far as you can get, visit the big temple just before the road bends to the right, have a snack and a beer Lao in one of the many bars and look at all the french influences that have remained, not only in architecture and language but also in food ("mayonaise on your baguette sir?").

Laotians seem to me more introvert than he Thai. They are hospitabile and friendly, no doubt about that, but as far as I can judge they are not really used to tourism yet and possibly still suffering from the same kind of 'communist apathy' I used to encouter in China 20 years ago. I'm not sure about that ofcourse, but there is a resemblance.

We stay in an old colonial style guesthouse. It's not cheap (most things are a little bit more expensive compared to Thailand) but it has a great atmosphere and a very romantic decorated bathroom. Pitty I brought my son and not my wife.... We decide to stay here for three days, enjoy the beauty and serenity and then follow the hippy trail to Vang Vieng.
Daan