London

London Travel Blog

With a name that has St Christopher in it, you’d think that our St Christopher’s Hostel in Shepherd’s Bush would be a travellers dream come true.  After all, St Christopher is the saint of travel.  However, maybe the St Christopher who has a spattering of hostels spread across the UK and Europe was a different St Christopher, for our hostel was no heaven.  Although, I am warming to the public showers and toilet thing, I’ve discovered that I really am more of a private room type of person.  Not that other people’s snoring and bodily sounds aren’t a great soundtrack to sleep to but when they are from the people in the room next door, that’s a bit much.  You see, there are walls and while they look like thick concrete walls they are really just a facade to hide some wafer-thin cardboard.

You can therefore understand my thrill and excitement of arriving off our flight late Friday night and hitting the sack for some horizontal sleep at last, only to have the dorm room of 8 Scottish lads begin their too-many-vowels-in-a-word chanting songs.  Normally, acceptable and hey, I’m a good sport, I’ll even sing along if required but at 5am!!  Come on!!  Of course, they were happy under the effects of alcohol and decided to chat ever so quietly (as you do when roaring drunk) until about 7am – when I officially gave up and started the day.

We got the tube to Kensington Gardens and walked around there and Hyde Park up to and along the Serpent river.  We saw Australian War Memorials, bronze Peter Pans, galleries and all.  London put on her best weather for us with 27 degrees of glorious sunshine.

I even got a little sunburn!!  We checked out Buckingham Palace and walked along the tree lined streets.  We snapped and snapped away like happy little tourists – at Buckingham Palace guards, statues and each other.  Cameras full and a good 8 kms walked – we were hungry.  Up to Trafalgar Square and off up the Strand (yes, this is like one big Monopoly game!) we found the best pub.  GBP6 main meals to die for (photo attached to make you all hungry too) and this awesome local ale (also pictured)- my drink of choice whilst in London.  We’d done the whole royal thing and then ate like kings.

The following day, there was only one thing to do – the Beatles tour.

We discovered this great little walking tour company.  Our guide was a little on the quirky side but was the biggest Beatles fan I’ve ever met – ok, I haven’t met many.  He had a stash of photos of him alongside Paul McCartney that he showed us.  Funny thing was that it was hard to tell if Paul was just looking a little shocked in the photos or if it was serious concern for the stalker standing next to him.  Not sure.

We visited all of the must see’s for Beatle die-hards.  There was the recording studio, Trident, where they recorded “Hey Jude” and many others.  Then off to 3 Saville Row in the Mayfair district which is the home of Apple (the company the Beatles started up to help with their tax) and where they performed on the rooftop the famous Let It Be footage- their last live gig.

We finished off in Abbey Road, home of the much photographed zebra crossing.  The studio front gate is painted white 6 times a year to give fans the opportunity to paint, sign or graffiti their slogan of tribute to the Beatles – it gets covered up that quickly.  It was amazing.  Loved it.  Got to walk across the zebra crossing as Dim and I took turns in photographing each other.  Dim had such gusto with her step and really put her heart into it – that she tore a foot muscle.  I kid you not!!  We hobbled back to the train station laughing about her enthusiasm and misfortune.  I don’t think there are many who can say they did a Beatles injury at Abbey Road.

Lunch at another pub, we’ve set a tradition now.  If a meal doesn’t come with chips and a pint, we wont go there – it’s the rule.

After that we did a bit of shopping around the Covent Garden, Soho and Carnaby Street areas.  We topped the day off with a spin on the London Eye which was all it was supposed to be.  It takes 30 minutes and we were lucky enough to get there with no queues.  It offers awesome views over the Thames, County Hall (fantastic old building) and, of course, Big Ben and Parliament House.  It highlights that the people in government really do get the best views.

Today, we are off to shop some more – Harrods, Oxford street and then.....no, guess it......yep! a pub lunch.  After that, Dim and I will meet up with Steff (who, surprisingly enough, doesn’t share our passion for retail therapy) at Campden which is supposed to be a bohemian type place with really cool shops and markets and also brags to be the old stomping ground of The Clash and the Sex Pistols.

Cant wait for that.

Well, I’ll go.  Lucky for you all, I’ve got another song stuck in my head over the past few days.  The much nicer tune of the Waifs.  I’m in London Still!

Cor blimey, Governor!!  Enjoy.

James and Lauren – missing you like crazy but have bought you some awesome presents!!!

debbiej says:
looks cool love your lunch yum yum sounds as though you are doing heeps of stuff that Bohemian place sounds fab. chat soon love deb
Posted on: Sep 01, 2008