Eid Mubarak: The First Day

Jakarta Travel Blog

Before Eid Prayer

After a month fasting during Ramadhan, Moslems celebrate Eid Mubarak on 1 Syawal (Hijriyah Calendar). There are some customs that usually done by Indonesian Moslems during Eid Mubarok. Some of them are based on Islam beliefs, some are only customs. In Indonesia, we use the term Hari Raya Idul Fitri or Lebaran for Eid Mubarok.

LEBARAN

In Indonesia, Eid Mubarak is called Hari Raya Idul Fitri of Lebaran. Lebaran is from the word “lebar” means “wide” or “broad”. That’s why lebaran means “widen” or “broaden”. The whole meaning is to widen or broaden the brotherhood or sisterhood. The people that celebrate lebaran are expected to have a wide or broad hearts to ask an apology to and to forgive other people.

Source: NooR Magazine, October 2008 Edition

SHOLAT ID (EID PRAYER)

In the morning of 1 Syawal at 6.

My husband's big family: 3 generations
30, all Moslems do the Eid Prayer. It is not an obligation, but it is very suggested. It is recommended to pray at the field. But, it is still okay if we pray at mosques. After prayer, we listen to a preach.

SILATURAHIM

Silaturahim is an Arabic word means to connect brotherhood or sisterhood. During Lebaran, we usually visit our parents or older relatives, such as grand parents, uncles and aunts, elder brothers and sisters. We also visit the people that we respect, such as our boss. During silaturahim, we usually ask an apology and forgive each other. If we cannot meet in person, we send cards, sms, or call the people we know to ask an apology for the mistakes we made. The purpose is to make us “clean” or “fitri” again from mistakes to other people and start a new episode of our lives.

Islam recommend Moslems to visit the people that they don't meet often or have bad relationship. The purpose is to maintain or to fix the relationship. That's why it is called silaturahim or to connect brotherhood or sisterhood.

HALAL BIL HALAL

Sometimes it is not easy to visit each other, especially in a big city. It can be because of the distance and also the traffic. To make it more easier, usually we organize an event where everybody can meet. The event is called Halal Bil Halal. As I ever read in a magazine, the term Halal Bil Halal is only used in Indonesia. Halal Bil Halal can be organized for a family, friends, or an institution.

In my family, my siblings and I gather in our parents’ house. I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters. So, it is not too big. My eldest sister lives in Surabaya and my youngest sister lives in Bandung. The rest live in Jakarta, so do my parents. I have 2 daughters, 2 nephews, and 4 nieces. So, there are 20 persons altogether.

My husband has a very big family. He is the youngest of 13 children. His parents and some of his brothers and sisters have passed away. Since 6 years ago, on the second until the fourth days of Lebaran, my husband’s big family has Halal Bil Halal in a hotel in Cirebon, his hometown.

Kering Kentang, my favorite dish
There are 3 generations and about 80 persons altogether.

SPECIAL FOOD AND COOKIES

There are some special food that served during Lebaran. It depends on where we are from. My family is from Central Java. So, the food served are:

• ketupat (rice cake boiled in a rhombus-shaped packet of plaited young coconut leaves)

• opor ayam (chiken cooked in coconut milk)

• sambal goreng ampela ati (chopped chicken liver and gizzard and fried potato cooked in coconut milk with red chili)

• kering kentang (spicy potato crisp)

• sambal goreng labu siam (squash cooked in spicy coconut milk)

The cookies that usually served are:

• kaastengels (cheese cookies - the word is from Dutch, I don’t know how to spell it correctly)

• nastar (cookies with pineapple jam inside)

• putri salju (cookies covered with sugar flour)

• lidah kucing (the shape is like a cat tongue - crispy cookies that made of the white part of eggs)

• kacang goreng (fried peanut)

Why should be KETUPAT?

(Ketupat is rice cake boiled in a rhombus-shaped packet of plaited young coconut leaves)

People in Indonesia consider that lebaran identical with ketupat.

Kastengel, my favorite cookie
There is a reason behind that. Ketupat is from the word kupat, a Javanese word. Kupat is from the word pat or lepat. Lepat means mistake.

Javanese people eat ketupat seven days after lebaran. They call it lebaran ketupat. The persons who have eaten ketupat are reminded that they are free from mistakes, therefore they have to forgive each other. Other resource says that ketupat is an abbreviation from ngaku lepat or admit mistakes.

The shape of ketupat (rhombus) is a materialization of papat lima pancer (papat = four, lima =  five, pancer = direction).

Kacang Goreng, must have served lebaran snack
It means Javanese people has four directions ( west, east, north, and south) and the fifth, the ultimate direction, God The One. It means whereever we go we have to remember that the ultimate of life is God.

Source: NooR Magazine, October 2008 Edition

Unfortunately, I cannot provide the photos. On the first day of Lebaran I was not too fit and didn't have enough energy to take pictures. I was sick before Lebaran and just recovered. Maybe next year I can provide it by myself. But now, I took it from internet. Thank you very much for all people that own the photos I used for this blog. Hopefully, more and more people will know Indonesia and the custom.

YantiSoeparno says:
Your welcome Agi and Bernard... I'm glad that this blog useful for you.

Li'l Mouse, you're always hungry when you see or read about food... that's your nature :D
Posted on: Oct 19, 2008
bernard69 says:
Selamat pagi!thx fr yr informative work!:))))
Posted on: Oct 19, 2008
ratu says:
Grrrrrrrrrrrr I'm getting hungry...;)
Posted on: Oct 18, 2008
Before Eid Prayer
My husbands big family: 3 generat…
My husband's big family: 3 genera…
Kastengel, my favorite cookie
Kacang Goreng, must have served le…
Kacang Goreng, must have served l…
Opor Ayam