Greetings from the White House

Casablanca Travel Blog

Let me keep this short as I am struggling with the French keyboard.

I had a redeye departure from Dubai this morning and arrived in Casablanca (Addar Albeydha, meaning the White House) this afternoon.  I have a room in the old city or Ancienne Medina overlooking the port and the famous Hassan II mosque.  Well, Casablanca being a modern city (in relative terms) is more of an entry point rather than anything of interest ... and the the Ancienne Medina is a big JOKE after old Sana'a.

What a pity ... I don't speak French ... it is the second language here.  English is spoken by some, particularly those in the tourist trade.  My Arabic isn't that useful as they speak very differently here ... after all, it is 9 hours by air to the Gulf.  Did you know that Dubai-Casablanca is further than Dubai-London!?

Anyway, I have been making do with a mix of reading French (with guesswork it is better than me reading Arabic) ... then speaking English and/or Modern Standard Arabic (not the Moroccan dialect).  Yes, I'm taking the social highground by speaking the Sultan's Arabic rather than the local dialect  ;-)

Casablanca Hotels & Accommodations review
The hotel is located in a little square on the edge of the Medina. Decoration is colourful, modern and funky ... looks great in pictures but quite … read entire review
photo by: tj1777