Beatification of Saddam Hussein

Sana'a Travel Blog

Getting there.

Arrived in Sanaa after 3 flights with two transits of 3 hours each.  That was Kuching - Kuala Lumpur - Dubai - Sanaa, totalling about 17 hours.

The Airbus A330 flight from Kuala Lumpur was unusually empty for Emirates probably because there was another flight a couple of hours later on their B777-300.  I had four seats (like many other people) ... the flight was super silent on this aircraft type and I was served a beautiful breakfast of chicken curry with lacy pancake (roti jala) and coconut veges (sayur lodeh).  Yummmmm...

Changes since last year.

Tired as I was, I hit the roads (and alleys) to change money and get my local prepaid SIM so I could organise my social life and remain contactable at a economical price.  As I went about my errands I noticed some changes in Sanaa after my nine month absence.

Somehow it felt more touristy and modern ... my favourite diner which was black with soot is now tiled to head-height and repainted ... certainly a loss of atmosphere.

Also since Saddam was executed, he seems to have been beatified.  There are many shops displaying photos of him, photos pasted in rear windscreen of cars ... maybe I should sell some bumper stickers while he is still hot.  In stark contrast, last trip I didn't see any icons of devotion to Saddam  (even though a friend said that there was a photo of him at the juice stand near school).

photo by: alexchan